Four Receivers or four tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Receivers or four tuners?

I have been having trouble ever since I installed a third HD receiver. I had two HD DVR's and they were working fine on both tuners. When I added a third HD receiver with one tuner (no DVR), strange things happened. I have been battling this with DirecTV for over a month. I even had a new HD DVR sent out but still having an issue.

I have a single cable dish (SWM LNB), a power inserter and a SWS-4 splitter. I'm thinking the SWS-4 splitter only allows four channels, not four receivers, is this the case? In other words, I have a total of five tuners, and I can only get four to function at one time. Do I simply need a SWS-8 splitter or is there something else wrong? I've checked all the wiring and moved receivers around and each location works fine, I just can't get all five tuners to come in at the same time.

Thanks,

Tom

The SWS-4 handles 4 RECEIVERS. With a SWM LNB and SWS4, you can get 4 DVRs, for example, which is 8 tuners.

Comment

Sounds like I have another problem then. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this, any suggestions?

Comment

We don't know what the problem is. "Strange things" sounds like ghosts, goblins or maybe UFOs.....could be anything!

Comment

The problem is I can never get all five tuners to work, or all three receivers to work at the same time. If I start them up after a shutdown, the first two will work the third will not. It is not wiring dependent or receiver dependent, it's like I can never get all receivers to work. This problem has been the common denomonator since I got a third receiver, I have never had all of them working on all tuners at the same time. Could it be that the dish I have only supports two receivers?

Comment

If you truly have a SWM LNB dish, then, no, you really have support for eight tuners.

I'd recommend powering everything down including the power supply for the dish wherever that is, and then powering up the dish, then each unit one-by-one to see if that sorts it all out.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bipestuff View Post
              I have been having trouble ever since I installed a third HD receiver. I had two HD DVR's and they were working fine on both tuners. When I added a third HD receiver with one tuner (no DVR), strange things happened. I have been battling this with DirecTV for over a month. I even had a new HD DVR sent out but still having an issue.

I have a single cable dish (SWM LNB), a power inserter and a SWS-4 splitter. I'm thinking the SWS-4 splitter only allows four channels, not four receivers, is this the case? In other words, I have a total of five tuners, and I can only get four to function at one time. Do I simply need a SWS-8 splitter or is there something else wrong? I've checked all the wiring and moved receivers around and each location works fine, I just can't get all five tuners to come in at the same time.

Thanks,

Tom
              What is the model of your receiver? (non DVR) What is the software version it's running?

Comment

Working...
              X