New house wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New house wiring

Ok so i am building a new house and need to run the coaxial for satellite. we will have directv. I am going to be running rg-6 quad sheild solid copper conductor.

anyways. i will also be running cat5e or cat 6 for net and phone and another coax for dvr to each drop.

ok so heres the set up.

i want directv in 4 rooms, however in two rooms i have 3 drops each and in the other 2 rooms i have 4 drops in each. so that is a total of 14 drops, but with dvr thats 28 drops. (theres really only going to be like 1 receiver in each room, the rest our just convenience locations for future furniture rearranging and so forth)

so each drop will need 2 coax for dvrs.

i will also have 2 antennas one for tv and one for fm/am/hd radio (i live out in the middle of nowhere i get no reception for anything, i may even get a cellular booster/repeater antenna.)

im wondering what i need to do. i will have a central networking closet for all this. is there a way to combine the dish and other antennas or should i keep them separate for better quality signals.

will having a large multiswitch setup like this cause a lower quality signal, or is it just how good the installation is.

i was thinking of just having a 4 or 8 way multiswitch. i would run it to a closet, then run a coaxial from the closet to every outlet (there are 14) but just have those cables there just in case. so really i would only have 4 or 8 cables attatched getting service, however if i needed to rearrange furniture and use an outlet on another wall i could just unplug the one i was using from the multiswitch and plug in the one i want to use. hope thats not confusing.

any equipment recomendation would be appreciated.

thank you

That should all work fine. The DTV signal is digital, so having more or less cables involved makes no difference and doesn't degrade the signal at all.

You might consider using SWMs for this instead of regular 6x8 or 6x16 multiswitches. That way, you have a bit more flexibility in the way the wiring works, and you only need one run per DVR (although each DVR still counts as two tuners off the 8 per SWM module).

More SWM info is here:

http://www.swm8.com
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

so you only need one coaxial cable running to a dvr tuner not two separate ones?

Comment

From a SWM dish or a SWM8 multiswitch, yes.

Comment

so let me get this right.

with the swm dish or swm8 multiswitch all i would really have to do is run one cable from the dish to my closet. (plus tape in the antenna)

then from the closet just one cable to every drop i want to have dvr + antenna.

so basically that one cable will carry my tv antenna, directv signal, plus another directv signal for the dvr.

so i should deffinatly get the swm dish plus the swm multiswitch.

sorry i just want to make sure i run enough wire, im not going to be able to run any more wire once the spray foam insulation is in.

Comment

plus i wont have an attic

Comment

You've basically got it right, but you need the SWM multiswitch, and a regular 5LNB dish - NOT a SWM dish.

Comment

out of curiosity not questioning your answer, but could you explain why i shouldnt use the swm dish?

Comment

Also, I am ordering coax right now, you can get some with a messenger or ground, where will i need the messenger ran from the dish to the closet. is that the only place?

Comment

Originally posted by maxfischersweet View Post
                    out of curiosity not questioning your answer, but could you explain why i shouldnt use the swm dish?
                    Well, it's one or the other. You can't use a SWM multiswitch and a SWM dish together. And, given the complexity of your setup, I think a SWM multiswitch will make life easier.

Comment

Originally posted by maxfischersweet View Post
                      Also, I am ordering coax right now, you can get some with a messenger or ground, where will i need the messenger ran from the dish to the closet. is that the only place?
                      Usually, you don't need it at all. Most of the time, you ground the dish separately.

Comment

Working...
                      X