Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use an SWM-8 to add a DVR to an RV's DirecTV System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use an SWM-8 to add a DVR to an RV's DirecTV System?

I want to replace my RV's ancient RCA DRD486RH DTV receiver with a new R22 dual tuner receiver/DVR.

The RV installation has a KVH TracVision S2 satellite antenna with dual LNBs; but only a single satellite drop cable from one of the LNBs to the DTV receiver.

Will the following configuration work?

At the dish:
    1. Connect each one of the KVH LNBs to a separate Sat 99/101 port on an SWM-8.
    2. Ignore (cap-cover) all other (unused) inputs. (Probably good practice to cover unused outputs, as well).
    3. Connect the existing satellite drop cable to the SWM1/PWR connector.

At the receiver location:
    4. Connect the existing satellite drop cable to the SWM port of a PI-28 Power Inserter.
    5. Connect the IRD port of the PI-28 Power Inserter to the SAT-1(SWM-2) satellite input connector of the R22 receiver/DVR.

Will the SWM hardware/firmware of the SWM-8 and R22 systems be able to successfully self-configure to ignore the missing LNB feeds and tune the same channels as the old DTV receiver (101 satellite)?

Are there any other steps/procedures that are needed to make this a successful installation?

If the above connection scheme is workable, then would the addition of a 1x2 SWM splitter allow the use of a second DTV receiver for the RV's bedroom TV?

Using the SWM-8 may be overkill for this application, but it would be an easier and perhaps less expensive solution than running a second cable and re-sealing the RV's roof.

Thanks for considering my questions,

slotraveler

It is not a DIRECTV-approved installation, but it should work.

Comment

WK-Jeff,

Thanks for the confirmation. I will give it a try.

slotraveler

Comment

Working...
      X