SWM8s with E2 Expander Signal Went Out Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM8s with E2 Expander Signal Went Out Day 1

I just had my installation completed (while educating my local installers in the process) of the (2) SWM8s Package with the E2 Expander. Everything worked great -- activated my receivers, watching channels, etc. Each SWM8 is being used with a 1X4 SWM splitter and each SWM8 is only carrying the load of 2 HR23s, so I have plenty of room for expansion.

Here's the thing -- after a few hours, I started receiving a "no signal" on all receivers. I unplugged the power supply from the E2 and plugged it back in. Everything started working again. A few hours went by and it happened again -- this time, unplugging the power supply and reconnecting is not doing the trick -- I have no signal! Help. I'm local in Playa Del Rey -- can I bring my power supply in and have it swapped out -- is that the likely culprit? Could I have bad LNBs? The green light on my power supply is on/constant, nothing seems to be overheating. I was told by the installer that the order of the four cables coming from the dish to the E2 doesn't matter, is that correct? Also, I used the two RG6 shorties Weaknees included to connect the E2 power to the SWM8s Legacy 3. Are they not long enough as mentioned in other posts? Where am I going wrong?

That all really sounds right. Hard to know what's up, but we've never seen a failed power supply on these, although that's certainly possible. We can swap it out if you'd like to try that.

More likely, though, is that power interruptions are causing the units to lose their SWM assignments. Are you pretty sure the E2 and the units themselves are getting clean power?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Wow, it's truly amazing that you are responding on a Friday night. Blown away by that. The only power interruptions are the ones I'm causing by attempting to "reset" the SWMs and E2 by disconnecting/reconnecting the power. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong problem? Is it possible that the 5LNB on my dish is bad? Is that difficult to replace? Just weird that it was working perfectly and then all went out. I take it that Weaknees is only open during the week -- is it a place where I can drive over and swap out the power supply since I think you're pretty close...

On clean power, I have a surge protector hooked up. The power supply looks pretty generic and puts on 24V. It says Model 3A-502DA22 if that sounds right. When I remove power to the SWM and reconnect, do the receivers need to be reset? When I tried it this morning, they came right back to life without doing anything to them. I just noticed that nothing is making them come back now. Have you had E2s go bad or anything else? Thanks.

Comment

An update in case this helps the diagnosis. On one of my HR23s, I powered down and then went over to the SWM splitter it was connected to (my SWM and the 1X4 splitter are mounted right next to each other) and connected it directly to Legacy 1. I then powered the receiver back on and then reset it. Still no signal. Does that mean that help? Would that make the problem point more at the LNB than the SWM setup or do we need more info? On the splitter, I assume it doesn't matter that I'm not using Out 1 but am using the other outputs...

Comment

OK, so I may be losing it. One more update: I went to my SWM, unplugged the receiver from the legacy port and back into Position #1 on the 1X4 splitter (which goes to the SWM1) and then reconnected power to the E2. Oddly enough, all receivers in the house are now getting reception. Any clues? I don't expect this to hold out and think this will go out again. I doubt SWMs correct themselves, so what else in the system could be flaky to cause the problem to go away and correct itself? My hunch is LNB or power adapter? The power adapter seems to have a good physical connection to the E2, so there's no play. But, maybe it is not supplying consistent voltage? Have you heard of that coming up before?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jkiralla View Post
            An update in case this helps the diagnosis. On one of my HR23s, I powered down and then went over to the SWM splitter it was connected to (my SWM and the 1X4 splitter are mounted right next to each other) and connected it directly to Legacy 1. I then powered the receiver back on and then reset it. Still no signal. Does that mean that help? Would that make the problem point more at the LNB than the SWM setup or do we need more info? On the splitter, I assume it doesn't matter that I'm not using Out 1 but am using the other outputs...
            This makes sense - you have to redo Satellite Setup on a unit to switch it from a SWM signal to a traditional signal.

Comment

Originally posted by jkiralla View Post
              OK, so I may be losing it. One more update: I went to my SWM, unplugged the receiver from the legacy port and back into Position #1 on the 1X4 splitter (which goes to the SWM1) and then reconnected power to the E2. Oddly enough, all receivers in the house are now getting reception. Any clues? I don't expect this to hold out and think this will go out again. I doubt SWMs correct themselves, so what else in the system could be flaky to cause the problem to go away and correct itself? My hunch is LNB or power adapter? The power adapter seems to have a good physical connection to the E2, so there's no play. But, maybe it is not supplying consistent voltage? Have you heard of that coming up before?

Thanks.
              First, yes, you can bring the power supply to us on Monday and we can swap it for a fresh one, if you think that's where the problem is. But I'm really not sure that'll help here.

Maybe there was some loose connection somewhere, but let's start with some questions.

-Is the dish newly installed? Had it been used before the E2?

-Are the unused ports on the 1x4s terminated?

-Are any runs in the installation very long - more than 100 feet?

Comment

Working...
              X