SWM8 inst with 2 or 3 DirecTV receivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM8 inst with 2 or 3 DirecTV receivers

I currentlyhave a newer 18X24 DirecTV satellite connected to two recievers (on D11 and one newer one) supplied via separate underground cable runs that I installed in plastic cnduit to the receivers located in the basement of my house about 275 feet from the dish. While it generally works well, one of the receivers doesn't work quite as relaibly as the other. I assume I have some signal loss issues due to the distance - that pretty much goes without saying. I also have 110V power near the dish, so can installed powered equiment, or amplifiers at that location (my garage building) or in the house basement, where I have a communications panel installed.

My quesiton, should I install a SMW inline amp on the output of the satellite, then run to a splitter in the basement, then use the splitter to supply the 2 or 3 receivers?

Next, if there is signal loss across the distance, can a second SWM inline amp be installed in the basement at my communications panel in front of the splitter?

I believe the satellite has a multiplexer, however, do I even need to use the second line coming from the satellite if I use the above configration, and do I even need a SWM8? UNfortunately, when I called the idiots at DirecTV support via phone, she told me the only way I could supply the second receiver, was from a second line, and new nothing about multi-switches, splitters, and amps that I have since learned about from you website.

Many thanks for your help/guidance.
    Joe
    Last edited by Londonhous; 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM. Reason: correction

I'd recommend a DIRECTV polarity locker at the dish:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv.php

I don't understand where the SWM products come in...are you using a SWM now? If not, then a SWM amp isn't what you need.

If the polarity locker doesn't work, that probably means the quality of your cable is not all that great, and you might then also want to use the DIRECTV-branded amplifier as well.

Comment

Follow up-

Thanks, I don't curerntly have any SWm products in line, but thought I was told by DirecTv the dish had a built in multi-swtich of sorts to route the LNBs out....

Thanks,
      Joe

Comment

Yes, your dish likely has a built-in multiswitch, but you can add a second switch as well. If you are not using a SWM, I believe you'll want to send the 4 outputs from the polarity locker into a 6x8 switch, out of which you can then send the lines to your various runs. I don't think that you can send the 4 outputs of the Polarity Locker directly into receivers, because the polarity locker takes the dish lines and allocates a specific voltage/tone generator to each line.

Comment

OK - Update on my equipment. I fouhd that I have a 2LNB Dish (thought I had a 3lNB slimline-not so) that is about two years old. Distance from satellite to house is aprox 220', with two recievers supplied currently via 2 underground in conduit lines. Receivers are in the house on different floors and signal sometimes is week.

I have the following, which I ordered from Weaknees, but ahve not yet installed. A SWM8, Polarity locker and 1X4 splitter. After doing some reading, will the 2lnb satellite work with the SWM8 and Polarity locker? I would ultimatley like to use just one of the underground cables, and use a the SW8 and polatiry locker to provide a good consistent signal to the 200+ foot udnerground run. Do I also need to upgrade the dish to a 5LNB, or will the 2LNB work? Another consideration, I would ultimtatley also like to upgrade to HD with a DVR.

If I need to upgrade the dish, in teh meantime, can I use the polarity locker in line with the two cables jsut to provide stronger signal through the two existing cables?

Many thanks

Comment

As far as I know, all of this equipment is backward compatible with the 2 LNB dish. Of course, if you want HD anyway, this might be a good time to put up a new dish, but I do think your layout should work.

220' is definitely on the long side here, so hopefully you've got good quality solid-copper-core RG6 cable in there.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X