grounding block with SWM-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grounding block with SWM-8

do i need to install a grounding block between my SWM8 and Dish? why doesn't my current setup need a grounding block?

I want to install a SWM-8 switch in my house to expand number if DVR's and TV's in my house.

right now i have 4 wires coming in from my Five LNB Ka/Ku Dish. two to my HD-DVR reciever and one each to the non-DVR hd recievers. they are all SWM compatible. i have couple of Standard def recievers i'd like to setup as well. for the bar tv's that are small and non-hd

DIRECTV recommends that the dish and SWM both be grounded.

Comment

a couple more questions.

is it a bad idea to have two splitters off one SWM line. 1-2 splitter one does to my living room the other is 1-2 split again to two other tv's

just trying to desing my cable runs and want to know the do's and don'ts

satelite lines come into the basement and I have one cable run that goes to the attic then then down to the master bedroom. I'd like to split the line in the attic and connect to the other 3 bedrooms. should I put the power inserter in the attic before the split or in the basement before the long run.

Comment

No - that should work fine, and if it helps keep down the overall amount of cable in the installation, that's even better.

For the power inserter, if you have power in both places, I'd do it closer to the SWM, so in the basement.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

it works. thanks

i installed the SWM switch and everything worked fine. i had to install the power inserter to get things to work. is there a recommended distance the power inserter should be from the SWM8 switch?

Comment

Really, anything over a foot should be fine.

And that's right - you ALWAYS need the power inserter for a SWM to work at all.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X