Simple SWM setup question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple SWM setup question.

I had Direct TV come out to my mothers house to add a second HD-DVR. When originally installed, they brought out a Slimline 5LMB dish, in which, at the time I ran two RG6 cables for them to attach the dish to and the two RG6cables then ran to the HD-DVR. The tech explained to me that a second HD-DVR could be added with only a single RG6 coming from the Slimline 5LMB to a 1x4 splitter. Off of the splitter, one RG6 goes to my new HD-DVR and the other goes to a PI-21 power inserter then on to the original HD-DVR. The HD-DVRs I believe are HR21 or HR20 (they are both black in exterior color). My question is that I have ordered a Slimline for my personal home, now that I upgraded my TV to HD, the difference from my mother's home to mine is that my Slimline seems to only have 3LMB's with 4 RG6's coming off the dish. I have ordered a PI-21 and want to only have one RG-6 running to my HD TV. My question is, can I set up the same way as my mothers home minus the splitter, and which of the 4 RG6 cables coming from my LMB do I connect to the PI-21.

I hope this is not to long for a question and any help is greatly apprciated.

Early thank you's for informational replies

Second question, why has Direct TV gone from a 5 LMB to a 3 LMB. It would seem to me that the 5 LMB would allow for expandibility for more inevitable HD channels and programming?

Comment

Most locations only need a 3LNB dish at this point. The extra channels on a 5LNB dish are generally for more remote areas or international programming.

As far as just adding the PI-21 to your system, you can't do that. Your dishes are different in more than just the number of LNBs. Your mother's has a built-in SWM, and yours doesn't, so you can't split cables like that. You could use a SWM8 for all four cables - those are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm

More info is also here:

http://www.swm8.com
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Can I purchase a LMB with the built in SWM online somewhere? She has had this dish now for about three years. Why would Direct TV put out a dish now without the SWM built in.

Comment

Disregard the last question as I have found a LMB with built in SWM at www.soldidsignal.com for $100 including shipping. Bit cheaper than the SWM-8 multi switch, and less cables from the dish. Thank you again for this website and forum, very informative for the novice.

Comment

The SWM just costs more, so DirecTV doesn't want to use it where it isn't needed or where the customer hasn't paid for it.

There are some key differences between a SWM8 and a SWM LNB, namely the lack of expansion options with a SWM LNB.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X