To SWM or not to SWM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To SWM or not to SWM

Hi all! I have a 5 LNB slimline dish (I think its an AU9). I do not know if it has a SWM switch built in. I bought the dish myself, online about two years ago, and had it installed by a local installer, not via DirecTV. I am running an HR21-200.

All I am wanting to do is get it to record two shows at once via SWM input. No second DVR. I have read many forum threads, and am still confused. There is only one wire exiting from the dish and running all the way into my house. My questions are:

1) Is there an easy way, short of getting on a ladder and pulling the dish apart, to figure out if my dish already has a SWM switch?

2) If not (or if dish does not have a SWM switch, which I am guessing it does not), do I really need to get four separate cables running from the dish to a SWM-8 to set this up -- or can I just insert the SWM-8 in line with the single cable and add a power inserter? Getting four lines out will be challenging logistically (i.e., I will need an expert with a big ladder).

Again, I am just looking to be able to record two shows at the same time on a single HD receiver. Any suggestions welcome. I am not against spending the money to move to SWM, but would like to be as "efficient" as possible in process.

Do you have a power supply between the line from the dish and your receiver? If not, then you don't have a SWM dish. Also, if you are only getting one tuner on your DVR, then you don't have a SWM dish.

Comment

There is no power supply between dish and receiver.

DVR definitely has two tuners, but only seeing one (coming in over single line, with filter in line).

With no SWM in dish -- then what is best way to proceed?
      Last edited by megargs; 10-18-2009, 10:06 PM.

Comment

You could get just the SWM LNB and replace what you've got. See the last section here:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-dish.php
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Much appreciated. Looks like that would be simplest fix!

Comment

Just be aware that you might need to slightly tweak the alignment after the LNB swap.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X