Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic OTA + CCTV setup

Hi,

I’m about to purchase a SWM8, but would appreciate some configuration advice and confirmation. My installation is very basic – I just have a single HR-21 DVR (fed by 2 x RG6s from my dish) and an AM-21 tuner that is connected via a separate RG6 connection to my rooftop antenna.

My plan is to get down to a single coax cable to ‘feed’ both units, given what I’ve read on the forum I understand that I just route the antenna into the SWM’s OTA port and use a diplexer at the AR-21 to split out the OTA signal, correct so far?

Now to my primary question – I also have a security camera system that uses RCA (R/W/Y) connectors for output – how do I integrate this into my proposed SWM installation? Should I use a modulator and then some form of combiner to merge the OTA and modulated CCTV signals prior to connecting to the SWM’s OTA port? If so, does WK sell such a device? [Or can you recommend a brand/source/spec?] Or is there a preferable way to hook everything up?

...and while I'm on a roll here ....if my modulated CCTV signal is placed on to (say) channel 4, will it show up as a discrete channel on the AR-21? In other words, can I view it using the existing (HDMI) connection from the AR-21/HD-21 or do I need to split it back out with a separate cable and use another input connection on the flatscreen?

Many thanks for any light you can shed on the topic!

Dave

On diplexing the OTA in and out: that's exactly right.

As far as the composite output, you could potentially modulate that and combine it with OTA, but we've never seen such an installation. You'd have to make sure all of the frequencies overlap, which is a bit of a tall order given the amount of data you're trying to put into one pipe here.

Next, the AM-21 can't read an analog TV signal, and even if you could make the security signal digital somehow, the AM-21 wouldn't know how to map it to a channel. I think there's probably no chance of getting that part to work here.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the amazingly fast reply!

I appreciate the confirmation on the OTA side of things, and from what you pointed out, there do seem to be a few (probably insurmountable) "challenges" with conveniently viewing my security camera feed.

As I already have a composite/coax multiplexor I may try to combine the OTA & cctv signals into the SWM8 and split the line just before it enters the AM21 - then see if my flatscreen's tuner can make some sense of the incoming feed. At this juncture I don't seem to have much to lose!

Comment

Sure - that has a much better chance of working. If it's putting in an analog feed (it pretty much has to be) then it might be totally fine. On the flip side, it could cause interference, so if you have problems, that's the first part to disconnect when troubleshooting.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Cool - thanks again for all your advice and help.

- Dave

Comment

Working...
          X