SWM cold weather issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM cold weather issue

I bought an SWM-8 a few months back and installed it. All has been fine until now when it gets cold. At about 28 degrees I start having problems with SWM channels 2 and 3. If a receiver is using that channel the SAT signals are low and there is pixelation on most channels. I can duplicate this by getting any receiver to use one or both of these SWM channels. It also does not matter which SWM port is in use. I have one receiver on SWM2 and 3 on SWM1. So if the receiver on SWM2 is using channel 2 or 3 it will have the issue. Likewise if I get one of the receivers on SWM1 to use channel 2 or 3 it will have the issue. I think the SWM may be defective so I may need to check into a replacement. I hope these are stable in colder temperatures since we have not really been that cold here yet.

If it's only on those specific channels, doesn't it sound like an LNB problem?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      If it's only on those specific channels, doesn't it sound like an LNB problem?
      I think you misunderstand, I am referring to the SWM frequency blocks used for each connected receiver, SWM transponder 1 - 9. In this situation blocks 2 and 3 become unstable when it gets cold. Oddly enough when it gets to around 20 degrees it clears up so around 23 - 28 degrees it is unstable. I can duplicate this on any receiver that has block 2 or 3 allocated to it by the SWM-8 so it is not receiver related or LNB related. I ordered another SWM-8 last night and I will swap it out. If the issue is gone then I will say the SWM is defective. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Got it - I totally misunderstood.

That's pretty interesting. For some reason, that specific temperature range seems to conflict with those SWM assignments. Haven't seen it before, so keep us posted.

Comment

The new SWM was delivered. Got it installed and so far no issues like the other one. Will have to give it a few nights of cold to be sure. One thing I noticed right away is this is a different model. It's a Zinwell SWM8R1-03. It's smaller than the other one, the grounds are in a different location, and the average signal levels on all transponders are a little lower than the other one. Perhaps the AGC is not as good on these Zinwell SWM's. We'll see what happens with the levels during the rain tomorrow and if I have the SWM frequency assignment issue this weekend when it gets colder.

Comment

OK - then it is sounding like your old SWM may be defective. I think this would be our first confirmed defective SWM.

Comment

I have tested the old one again in the cold and it still has problems with the SWM assignments in that temperature range. The new SWM has not had any of this so as odd as it may sound, I think the original SWM is bad. I think I am within the exchange window so I guess I need to get it swapped so I have a good spare (now that I have 2).

Comment

OK - are these from us?

Comment

Yes. Both purchased from WeaKnees.

Comment

OK - email us so we can swap it out. [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                    X