DirecTV SWM8 install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirecTV SWM8 install question

My current setup consists of a DirecTV HR22 DVR connected with two coaxial inputs, a DirecTV H21 HD receiver, and 3 SD receivers. I installed an OTA for the digital stations not supplied over the satellite and am considering purchasing the AM21 to add those channels to the DVR. Also, I am considering replacing the H21 with another HR22 DVR. I've got a 3LNB slimline (oval shaped) dish with two cables going to the switch. Before I go out and buy a mile of coaxial cable, connectors, etc., to make those changes would it be easier (and cleaner) to replace the switch with the SWM8 switch? From what I've read on these boards, it sounds like that may be the best approach. I would rather do it myself than call DirecTV and cross my fingers that the installer who shows up will install things the way I want them done. Any input?

I'm not sure what "switch" you have now, but it sure seems like the SWM is an optimal solution for what you're looking to do.

Comment

Type of switch

The switch I'm using now is a Zinwell WB68. On a side note, does the SWM8 amplify the OTA signal?
      Last edited by boogie; 11-21-2009, 09:47 AM.

Comment

SWM does not amplify the OTA, and you should be able to swap the 6x8 with the SWM.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Would it harm the system if I used an OTA signal amplifier? I would like to have OTA reception on multiple TV's.

Comment

No, it won't harm things--you can amplify the off-air signal before you send it into the SWM.

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X