Ota Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ota Question

I am in the process of negotiating with Direct TV for an HD upgrade to my dinosaur system. During the course of getting my plans together, I ran a new coax from the OTA antenna in my attic to the multiswitch in my living room, attached it to the OTA input, and installed diplexers at each of my TV/receiver locations. The strange thing is, I get a different group of OTA channels at each receiver location. I get 29 channels at the receiver farthest from the multiswitch, 24 at the location closest, and only 17 at the "middle" receiver. There are two local channels that I would really like to have, but they only show up at the most remote (and least utilized) location. Would a signal amplifier improve things at the other receiver locations, and should it be installed upstream or downstream of the multiswitch? Thanks.

Are you using any HD equipment now? Do you have an HD dish now? If you are using SD only, then I'd suggest an amplifier before the multiswitch, and also you might try bypassing the multiswitch (using another diplexer to combine the signals) and send it to each receiver separately. Do you have the same problem?

Comment

I tried bypassing the multiswitch, problem got significantly worse (lost several channels at all locations). Multiswitch has a power cord (maybe built-in amplifier?), all equipment is SD - I am in the process of trying to work out HD system upgrade with Direct TV, but they are insisting on ODU equipment and upgrading all receivers to HD units because ODU system has no legacy ports. Multiswitch came from DirectTV during a service call 2+ years ago, replaced Zinwell with some no-name unit that seems to work OK.

Comment

If you bypass the multiswitch, and the OTA problem got worse, doesn't that mean it has to be a cabling and/or splitter problem with the OTA coax?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Not sure, because I only have one coax running to each receiver so I took the multiswitch out of the system and ran the OTA direct to each TV and rescanned for available channels (and it got worse). When I diplexed the OTA onto the Direct TV feed and then diplexed it out in front of the receiver, I got only 4 - 5 OTA channels. I guess that means the multiswitch boosts the OTA signal somehow. The thing that puzzles me is the fact that each TV/receiver gets different channels while connected to the same OTA antenna.

Comment

What happens if you eliminate the DIRECTV signal and just send the off air, no diplexers--do you get all stations then?

Comment

Working...
            X