Diplexer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplexer question

Is there a specific diplexer that should be used with a swim setup? I've got an Aspen D2200 diplexer (5-800 / 950-2300MHz) and it doesn't work. To troubleshoot, I ran DTV through the diplexer without the OTA antenna and DTV worked fine. Next, I disconnected the antenna from the SWM and ran the coax through the diplexer and it worked fine. It just doesn't work when I run the antenna through the off-air port on the SWM and connect with the diplexer.
    Last edited by boogie; 12-16-2009, 03:46 PM.

Yes, absolutely. You must get a SWM-approved diplexer. See:

SWM Diplexer

Comment

Thanks! I just placed an order for one!

Comment

The diplexer arrived today and I hooked it up but no OTA channels. The line from my antenna goes to a 3-way splitter (generic RCA) where one line goes to the garage OTA-only set, one line goes to the living room AM21, and the third goes to the SWM OTA input. The diplexer is hooked up to the H21 in the master bedroom. Directv works fine, just no OTA. Any suggestions?

Comment

There may not be enough signal strength on the line, given the splitter and other runs.

Can you try removing the splitter and just barrel-connecting in that one line?

Can you try a signal amplifier?
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I replaced the cheap RCA splitter with a high quality splitter and added a signal amplifier. Voila - 77 channels! Thanks!

Comment

OK - sounds good. It's amazing how much variety there is among splitters out there. In addition, with SWM technology, so much data is being packed into one line that the system is that much more sensitive, so good splitters, cables, and connectors really do matter.

Comment

I was having a problem with the SWM diplexer with an HR-20 in that the receiver would freeze when both lines were connected. It worked fine with either one connected but not both. Directv finally sent a technician who knew what he was doing and he installed something called a "power pass thru" at the back of the receiver. My terminology is probably incorrect but the basics were that the HR 20 was not seeing both signals for some reason but this device allowed all frequencies to pass. This may be unique to the HR-20 but it solved the problem.

Comment

Was that a standard diplexer, or a SWM-specific diplexer? They're pretty different.

Comment

It was a SWM specific diplexer which makes me think it is a problem specific to the HR-20 or possibly just the unit that Directv sent to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X