Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Purchase Questions!

Howdy!

First of all, I'd like to say WK's ordering handling was outstanding. Shipped quick, immediately got my tracking number, showed up in two days (per my shipping selection).

I scored the SWM8 w/ power.

Our DTV dish has 3 cables coming from it (and a tiny gauge wire not connected).

I thought it was a 5 LNB setup, but it must be a 3 LNB? We get a full barrage of HD including locals if that's of any consequence.

We have a HD DVR (HR20), a HD STB (HR21) and an old RCA box in my office all previously connected with a single cable (so no multi channel record on the DVR, etc.)

At first I was concerned with which LNB cable went to which input, but it appears, that plugging into to any of the ports and performing a "red button reset" got the DVR up and running.

However, I want to make sure I am in the right ports: I took the 3 coax from the sat dish and connected them to the 3 uncapped ports closest to the two flex ports. Any changes needed there?

The DVR is connected to SW1 and that cable is also suppling the power (that whole setup is on a 1500VA UPS).

For the HD STB, I'm planning on connecting to the SW2 port (current with the metal cap), and then connecting the cable from the RCA to one of the legacy ports. At this point I'm not using any splitters.

All that sound right?

Also, the coax connection from the wall to the DVR used to go into a surge protector and then to the DVR. I currently have it bypassed. I'd like to put the SWM powr supply "behind" the surge protector. Will this work? Any recommendations against it?

Finally I'm almost positive we've lost a couple of channels, but not 100% sure. Any possibility this new SWM setup could be causing a small number of channels to be showing "searching..."? Something with the cable config?

Thanks in advance!

DT

You have a 5LNB dish. Just because you see 3 lines out just means that they never connected the fourth, and you DO need it for the SWM. You have to get up on the roof and run a fourth coax from the empty output of the dish to your SWM...the 2 flexports aren't used, but the other 4 must be used.

Comment

OK, that's super helpful. That's a bummer the guy didn't do the install up to spec. I'll probably just hit the Shack and score some RG6 and do it myself (we're in a two-story so it's way up there!).

I connected the upstairs HR21 HD box to the system last night after I posted that, did the red button reset, and it's missing all the local channels, so I'm *assuming* that has something to do with the 4th cable missing[?]

On a big positive note: We used the DVR last night as intended! Watch a couple of shows and recorded the others on at the same time. Thursday nights are a killer (like 5 of the 8 shows we watch are on at the same time on three different networks).

Thanks again!

Comment

As far as the local channels, you might give it some time. It could be a SAT issue, but it also could be an authorization issue.

But, either way, you should get that fourth cable attached.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Wow!

OK, I ran up to the Shack, picked up a premade RG6 outdoor cable, 25', came back home, and my extension ladder is too short! I can't get ON the roof and can't reach from the ladder.

So I decide, heck with it, I'll just run up and return this. First I call DTV and amazingly I get a GOOD service rep. First he updates an old SD RCA box we have to a new HD for free (we even get to keep the old box). Then he says due to how we requested the wiring they only did the three drops, but if we activate a 4th box, they'll add it for the $50 install fee (no cost on the RCA, $50 more to add a 4th HD box).

So I decide to mull and return the cable and as I'm pulling out two DTV vans come by. I run them down and they came over and got me all fixed up. The actually had to replace the entire dish!!! The bolts were all rusted, plus they said it was an older LNB5 setup, we now have a slimline, with new supports (they said our dish was probably moving a bit with wind), re-aimed, 4th drop into the SWM.

Without even a reboot the locals came on upstairs and the old RCA came online.

It was on the QT so I gave 'em a nice $$ for all the extra hassle and time.

Awesome.

Comment

Pretty nice! Maybe rare for DTV, but great!
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X