Newbie SWM8 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie SWM8 question

Ok. I am reading all about the SWM8 and it looks like what I want to add in my house since the house was built in 1996 and it was pre-wired (and not well thought out). I currently own one HR22-100 HD DVR and 1 H21-200 HD Receiver.

My question is this:
    With the SWM8, can you still tape 2 shows simultaneously even though there is only one cable going to the HD-DVR?

Thanks in advance

YES!

In fact, that was our reason for adding a SWM8 (see my recent post). Same scenario, using the existing coax in the house.

If you have 4 drops from the sat, hooking up a SWM8 is a < 30 minute chore! Connect 4 lines into the box, reconnect the cables from your 2 devices. Hook up the power supply inside to the cable that leads to the SW1 port (which doubles as the power input). (Remove HP filters) Reset. Super easy.
    Last edited by DannyT; 01-16-2010, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaBruinz View Post
      Ok. I am reading all about the SWM8 and it looks like what I want to add in my house since the house was built in 1996 and it was pre-wired (and not well thought out). I currently own one HR22-100 HD DVR and 1 H21-200 HD Receiver.

My question is this:
      With the SWM8, can you still tape 2 shows simultaneously even though there is only one cable going to the HD-DVR?

Thanks in advance
      Yes. I actually have the SWM LNB, but that is just another option to get to the same place and yes, just one coax is required and you get rid of the BBC's too!

Comment

That's all correct - that's what puts the "Single wire" in "Single wire multiswitch." The one wire carries 8 tuners-worth of data, so a DVR just picks up two of those.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

First off, I want to thank the 3 of you for replying. I thought I was supposed to get an email saying that you had replied and I guess it went into my spam folder and I missed them.

Secondly, If I was to get the 5LNB SWM (which is the same price as the 8 port SWM), is there anything I need to do other than adding power to it if I change out the LNBs?

Comment

Nope - not really. The big disadvantage of the SWM LNB is that you can't expand beyond 8 tuners. If you don't think that'll be an issue, go for it.

Comment

Thanks Michael. I don't forsee going beyond 8 tuners because my house just isn't that big....

Comment

OK - just remember, that's four DVRs, so it's not as crazy as it might sound.

Granted, I don't have more than 8 tuners, and I don't expect to either . . .

Comment

Working...
                X