Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question before I plunk down for a SWM

Hello WK forum

I currently have a 5LNB dish and use an AT-9 Zinwell multiswitch in my garage to send the signals out to my 2 coax outputs for my living room HR 20-700 and the 1 coax output for my bedroom HR 20-700. I also use it for my cable modem output in the home office.

I am looking to be able to leverage the 2 tuners in the bedroom HR 20-700 and I think SWM is way to go.

Is anybody familar with this kind of setup - any special considerations I need or tips on accessories to go with the SWM?

This is the ideal use for a SWM; it will replace your 6x8 Zinwell. If you are using only 2 units, then you won't need anything but the SWM+PI, see:

SWM DIRECTV Equipment

Comment

4 HD DVR & Cable Broadband connections Requirements

Hi,

I need to connect 4 HD/DVR's and Broadband Cable internet connection on my existing Single Wired (RG6) household.

Below is the current household setup.
      Family Room - HD-DVR-HR20-100
      Guest BedRoom - HD-DVR-HR20-100
      Master BedRoom - HD-DRV-HR20-700
      Den - HD-DVR-HR21-100
      Den also has ISP / Cox Cable Modem (for internet access)
      Pool Table Room - has 5th cable drop -- but shares same mobile HD-DVR-HR21-100 in Den.
      The Flat screen is on a Boltz mobile flat screen stand.

I purchased:
      1) SWM8 Single-Wire Multiswitch and DIRECTV Approved Power Supply Kit
      2) DIRECTV-Approved SWM Splitter (1x4)
      3) DIRECTV-Approved SWM Splitter (1x2)
      4) DIRECTV-Approved Diplexer for SWM

I have everything working except the internet. All my HD/DVR work correctly - I can record and watch
      separate TV channels at the same time.

Except I had the understanding that I could put my Cox Internet connection as an input to the Off Air Port. Then when I send the signal back to my Den I use the Diplexer to split out the internet access and HD/DVR. The HD/DVR works through the Diplexer. But my Cable modem never comes online correctly.

Below is configuration Which is same as example link - except I'm using 1-1x4 splitter and 1-1x2 splitter.
      http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/SWM-with-diplexer.html

SWM8 SWM1 => SWM PI-28 Power.

SWM PI-28 Power => IRC => SWP (1x4) Splitter Input => 3 outputs feed HD/DVR's in Family Room, Guest Bed Room, and Master Bed Room.

SWM8 - SWM2 => SWM (1x2) Splitter - => 2 Outputs feed Den HD/DVR. My Den flat screen has a mobile TV stand that allows me to move it to my Pool Table room. Where I have the 2nd feed. These two outputs will work with the same HD/DVR depending on where I place the mobile Flat screen.

Also in the Den (not the pool table room) I use a Diplexer to split out the HD/DVR signal and Broadband Cox Cable to my Motorola Surfer Cable modem.

What is wrong with this configuration? I'd like to feed the HD/DVR signal to a Single wire in my Den and support both HD/DVR and Cox Cable Broadband access?

thanks,
      Ptrader.

Comment

Generally, that does work, but you'd have to find out from Cox what frequency they use for broadband Internet. You're using DIRECTV/Satellite equipment and trying to send a cable signal on it...and while it generally does work, DIRECTV isn't in control of the frequency that Cox uses for their Internet signal.

If you do not use the diplexer, and you send the output from the SWM splitter directly into your cable modem (or whatever you're using there), does it work?

Comment

You're doing to have to run a dedicated coax for Cox - you can't diplex this because SWM uses the entire spectrum of the cable to send the 9 signals

Comment

67cruiser-

Please read our PDF:

http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/SWM-spec-sheet.pdf

The open frequency range on a SWM system is 54 mhz to 806 mhz. Any signal in that range can be diplexed in quite easily and without disrupting the SWM feeds. Most OTA and cable signals are within this range.

So, in short, the original poster should be fine in this situation.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

UPDATE

Installed last month. Pretty straight-forward. Works great. The Tuners both auto-detected SWM contrary to the directions which indicated you might have to manually set it up. Glad I made the switch, thanks Weaknees!

Comment

Glad it was so easy!

The newest software for the HR2X series does to a pretty good job at auto-detecting SWM systems.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                X