Erratic OTA behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erratic OTA behavior

The switch over to SWM8 was easy and both of my receivers (H20 and R22) are working perfectly with the DirectTV inputs. But I'm having trouble with my OTA connections. At the H20 location I split the OTA line after it comes out of the diplexer. I send one line directly to my TV and I plug the other line into the OTA input on the H20. On the TV input everything works fine but on the H20 I can only get one channel, all the other channels come in as "Searching for signal". On the R22 receiver I go from the diplexer right into the antenna input of the TV and I get about 5 or 6 channels. Should I be looking at an amplifier? If so, what kind of amplifier and where should it be installed?

Are you using a SWM diplexer? See:

SWM Equipment and SWM Diplexers for DIRECTV

Comment

Yup, using diplexers. Bought from our host, weaknees, from the very page you reference. The SWM8 and the 1X8 splitter were also from weaknees. Just to confuse the issue some more, I wired up another TV in preparation for a new HD-DVR coming on Thursday. The OTA worked perfectly on this install.
      Last edited by laimins; 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Maybe you've got a failing OTA input on the H20? Have you tried it in another location?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Before I made the switch over to the SWM the OTA input on the H20 was fed by a separate line from the antenna and I had no problems. Just started having problems when the OTA input was fed from the diplexer.

Comment

Is that separate line still available, for testing?

You could also try an amp at the top end, before the OTA enters the SWM.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The line is still available and I will give it try tonight when I get home. Any recommendations on what kind of amp I should try?

Comment

We don't have any specific recommendations; but an inline off-air amplifier is what you want to be looking for.

Comment

I just ordered a Perfect Vision UHF/VHF/FM Distribution Amplifier (PV0DB). I hope to have it before the end of the week. We will see if it can do the job.

Comment

Got the Perfect Vision UHF/VHF/FM Distribution Amplifier (PV0DB) today and plugged it in. Problem solved! Thanks WK-Jeff & WK-Michael for your help and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                    X