Getting ready to SWiM - need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to SWiM - need some advice

First off I'd like to thank weaKnees for their great products and all the help I've gotten over the years. I've got an ancient DirecTivo that I bought from you guys with an upgraded drive, and it's still going strong. And my upgraded HR-21 has been flawless over the last couple of years.

I'm going to be moving in a couple of weeks and my new home has a distributed RG6 wiring setup. There's one line in from the outside of the house leading to a panel in the utility room. All the cable lines to each jack in the house connect here are are labeled. I currently have 3 HD DVRs and a DirecTivo and plan to use SWM. My understanding is that when I do the DirecTV mover's connection, they will not install a SWM LNB due to my non-compatible DirecTivo (which is fine with me). I plan on upgrading the Tivo to an HD DVR, but I would prefer not to have the SWM LNB due to the fact that it can't be expanded. So I'll be ordering a SWM8, mounting it on the outside of the house, and connecting the SWM1 port to the line that goes to the distribution box. Then, inside the box I'll use a 1x4 splitter and connect each jack that will have a receiver. I think I've got this part straight, but I still have some more questions.

1. Does it matter where I place the power inserter? I have an outlet in the distribution box, but I would prefer to run it off a UPS (like my DVRs) so I don't lose signal when the power flickers. Would it be OK to plug the inserter into a UPS behind my entertainment center and place it in between the jack and the DVR?

2. Right now I have two DVRs in my family room and I'd like to keep that setup. Is there a way to split the cable at the jack in order to run 4 tuners? If so, would a SWM 1x2 splitter be the part that I need?

3. With my current wiring setup, is there any way to have more than 8 tuners given the fact that I only have a single line leading to my distribution box? It appears that the dual SWM8 setups as well as the upcoming SWM16 all require the use of two SWM ports to run more than 8 tuners. I have access under the house and it's probably feasible to run a second line from the SWMs to the utility closet, but I'd rather not.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide!

Gabe

1 - Yes, no problem. Just be sure to get the power running on the red ports on the SWM splitters. Only red ports on these splitters pass the power from the power inserter to the SWM8.

2 - Sure - just the 1x2, as you mentioned.

3 - That's right. One tuner hold 8 signals, max. So you'd need another run.

You don't mention what you plan to do with the DirecTV TiVo in this situation, but you do note that it won't work with SWM signals, except via the legacy ports. Just making sure that's not going on a SWM line.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick response! I do know that the DirecTivo won't work with SWM, so rather than bother with the legacy ports I'll be replacing it with an HR-23. Hopefully DirecTV will do that for no charge when I move, otherwise I'll just order one with a larger drive from wK. I can get by with the 8 tuner setup for a while, but I suppose I'll be pulling one more cable when the SWM16 comes out later this year. I really can't complain, though. I spent many hot and dirty hours pulling multiple cables to all the tuners in my current house, so at least SWM has spared me that torture! Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Sounds good - we can't wait to get those SWM16s in here - not to mention the promised HD DTV TiVo.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

What is timing of arrival for the SWM16? Thanks!

Comment

We have no idea....we're asking, and getting no answers.

Comment

Working...
            X