Tech Q's about SWM8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Q's about SWM8

I'm getting ready to install my new SWM8 to the outside of my house (20ft away from Slimline dish). Four inputs to SWM8, one cable out to PI located inside house so I can plug into an UPS. Out of PI (IRD) to 8-Way splitter to one HR22 DVR, two HR21 rcvrs and one D12 rcvr. I expect to hookup two or more HD rcvrs in the future, thus the use of the 8-Way.

My questions are:
    1. Is there a max distance on the cable run from the SWM8 to PI? And then on to the rcvr?

2. Should I put a certain rcvr on the power pass-through port of the 8-way?

3. Should open 8-way ports be terminated?

4. Does my setup sound right/logical? Any recommendations?

Thanks everyone.

1. Yes, but it's pretty long...depends on the quality of the cable, among other things.
    2. No.
    3. Yes.
    4. Sounds fine, just keep in mind that you are not going to be able to get more than 8 tuners total; right now you have 7.

Comment

Thank you for your super fast reply.

1. I am using NEW quad sheilded RG-6.
      2. Thought so...
      3. Okay, good, I have terminators...so I will put them in place.
      4. Yep, if I have a need to run more than 8 I can always add another SWM8. Where as with the SWM LNB, I don't have that option.

Now would it be better to do two 4-ways? One on SWM1 and one on SWM2? I know with alot of splitters, the more connections the more lost signal. Is this true with Sat signals or this particular setup with the SWM8?

Comment

Two 1x4s and one 1x8 really have about the same effect on the network. The only reason to use the 1x4s is if that makes installation more convenient or just reduces the amount of cable in the network overall.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Okay, thank you Jeff and Michael for your replies. I think I am set, and confident, for this install. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanati View Post
            ...Out of PI (IRD) to 8-Way splitter to one HR22 DVR, two HR21 rcvrs and one D12 rcvr....
            Is your IRD output from Power Injector going to your 8-way splitter or is it going to one of your satellite receivers?

Darek

Comment

Out of PI (IRD) to 8-Way splitter
              To clarify...Out of Power Inserter (IRD port) to 8-way splitter.

Take a look at this diagram...4-way splitter pictured...replace it with an 8-way. http://www.swm8.com/3-4DVR-SWM1-1SPLIT.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X