Help!!! Can't get signal after SWM-8 install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!! Can't get signal after SWM-8 install

I have just installed an SWM-8 with an 8-way splitter on a 5 LNB slimline. I currently have only 3 receivers hooked up, but got an 8-way splitter for near future expansion. Current set-up: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H21-200, and a standard D 12-100.
    After the initial install I was only receiving a few channels. I did a reset on the DVR receiver and then could not get a signal at all. Check other HD receiver and still had the few channels I had initially on DVR receiver. Rechecked all connections (inside and out) and everything seemed fine. The SWM in this initial try was approx. 45-50 ft away from the dish, so I then decided to disconnect and retry directly at the dish.

All 4 cables attached to SWM at dish with the power supply and splitter about 50 ft away in the basement. The cable run from the splitter to the DVR is 25-30 ft. Did set-up from DVR and got the same results as with the initial try.
    Also, when I did a signal strength check it shows the SWM along with other satellites. My question here is will the SWM show up if it is malfunctioning and/or will it show up just because I changed the switch type in the satellite dish set-up menu?
    It seems like I have installed everything correctly but of course I am a newbie to this stuff and I may have missed something. The house is only 5 years old and the DirecTV was installed 2 years ago and uses RG6 coax.
    Please help!

Is your splitter before or after the power supply? If the power supply is after the splitter, it must be connected to the power-passing port on the SWM splitter.

Comment

The splitter is after the power supply. Cables properly running to and from power supply (SWM1 to SWM and IRD to splitter). Also, I took the SWM out for the night and will try again tomorrow. Of course everything was fine when I returned things to the original set-up. But I noticed that when doing the satellite set-up (after removing the SWM) the default showed multi-switch where it showed SWM when the SWM was hooked up. Don't know if this is of any consequence or not.

Thank you for the quick reply
      Last edited by murpharmd; 02-21-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I'd suggest you try without the splitter and go only into the HR22 and see if you can get it working. Then start adding pieces to the puzzle.

Comment

Tried without the splitter and still the same result. Getting all 0's when checking signal strength; no channels at all.
          I also tried multiple outlets for the power supply and that did not help.
          Do you think its possibly a malfunctioning/dead SWM unit?
          Last edited by murpharmd; 02-22-2010, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Have you tried to connect without the SWM to be sure that it's not a dish issue? When you cycle thru the satellites with the connected, do you see SWM as one of the satellites (101, 103, 99, SWM)?

Comment

Make sure to disconnect b-band converters when using the SWM. Cable should plug straight into the receiver without converters.

The reason I mention this is because I forgot to unplug them during my install. Once removed, everything worked as expected.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses guys. When I remove SWM and perform signal test, SWM does not come up as one of the satellites. With it connected, SWM does show up as one of the satellites but every transponder comes up as 0.

As far as the b-band converters go, there are none installed in my set-up.

I noticed on a wiring diagram, it stated at the bottom "Do not use autodetect; manually select dish configuration." After I perform the red button reset, the receiver begins a self check, then goes through the 2 step set-up. After that, its searching for signal on satellite in 2... (771). I then hit menu and it gives me 2 options; signal strength and repeat satellite setup. I'm not really sure how to manually select the dish configuration other than through the satellite setup menu. Is that what they are referring to in the diagram?

Comment

Hey Kanati, you were right on. I checked for the converters yesterday but obviously I should have checked a little better on the DVR because there it was.
                  Thanks for all your help guys. I knew it was going to be something stupid like that!

Comment

EXCELLENT!!

Yeah, my first start up didn't go well too, so I rechecked the instructions and my setup. That is when I saw I hadn't removed my converters.

I then did the red button reset (again) and it also did the automatic self check/setup. After that, I also got the two options (signal strength and repeat satellite setup). I believe the "repeat satellite setup" is the manual setup they are referring to in the instructions. But when you go to do the manual setup...it is already setup the way it should be, with "SWM" selected. So really there is nothing else to do but grab a beer and watch TV.

Glad you figured it out. It's always something simple.

Comment

I cecked my 2 other receivers, which the back-ends are easier to access, and found nothing. The DVR is in a built-in with a center channel speaker below it and lots of cables/wires running behind it. I more or less think I just reached behind the receiver and could not feel the converter. I'm glad you posted your response because I probably wouldn't have checked again.

I am very excited about the SWM-8. A big thank you to the people behind this unit.

Comment

Working...
                      X