SWM Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM Question

I am new to the SWM and planning my installation so sorry for any questions that are novice. Overall my goal to to be able to use the two runs going to each of my receivers for satellite signal and OTA. I have the follow setup:

1 HD DVR
    1 HD Receiver
    2 SD Receivers - each are D11's

I have two runs already going to each room and have a multiswitch that was installed a couple of years ago.

So I am wondering what the best route for me to install the SWM8 to take advantage of using the single wire to my HD DVR, but also be able to send OTA to the 3 receivers also.

My assumption is that this type of setup has been done before.

Thanks.

Originally posted by gobucks99 View Post
    I am new to the SWM and planning my installation so sorry for any questions that are novice. Overall my goal to to be able to use the two runs going to each of my receivers for satellite signal and OTA. I have the follow setup:

1 HD DVR
    1 HD Receiver

I have two runs already going to each room and have a multiswitch that was installed a couple of years ago.

So I am wondering what the best route for me to install the SWM8 to take advantage of using the single wire to my HD DVR, but also be able to send OTA to the 3 receivers also.

Thanks.
    first thing you need to do is check compatibility of your recvrs. , especially your dvr... be sure that it is swm compatible....second ... what type of dish do you have ... you need a AT9 or AU9 dtv with 4 outputs....

if the dvr is swm the the rest should work ...

the d 11's need to be hooked to the legacy ports... also if the reg hd is not swm ,it too needs legacy port.....you have 3 legacy ports so you should be ok...

then all you need is a 4 way ota splitter & hook each of your #2 lines to it..

on the swm outputs there are 2 of them ....so if you have the 2 hd's that are swm ,you can use each or you can use a swm compatible splitter .... be sure to follow the swm 8 instructions on powering the swm & capping the unused port if need be....

check ... www.weaknees.com under parts , directv swm for more info

good luck
    Last edited by ebmsjml; 03-07-2010, 09:45 AM.

Comment

additional info

Originally posted by gobucks99 View Post

1 HD DVR
      1 HD Receiver

Thanks.

ok ... i got some additional info for you from weaknees site... check it out....

Compatible Receivers

•HR20 (takes two signals from the SWM wire, but needs only a single wire - for OTA, a diplexer is needed at the DVR end)
      •HR21, HR21 Pro, HR22, and HR23 HD DVRs (each take two signals from the SWM wire, but only need a single wire)
      •H20, H21, and H23 HD Receiver (each take one signal)
      •R16 and R22 (each take two signals from the SWM wire)
      •D12 and D13 (each take one signal)
      •DirecTV HD TiVo - The older unit(HR10-250) will NOT work with SWMs, except via the legacy ports. The new unit coming out in 2010 (watch for the latest info on that on the WeaKnees TiVo Blog) SHOULD work fine with SWMs.
      •Older Equipment: legacy ports (three), any DirecTV receiver will work. Runs need to be home runs (one solid run from the receiver to the SWM)
      Compatible Dishes

•The SWM8 will work with any non-SWM dish, current or older. Additionally, the SWM8 will work with two dishes in many situations, for examply a 5LNB dish, plus an international dish. The SWM8 has four ports for the primary dish (5LNB in this example) and two "flex" ports for a secondary dish.
      •Please note: a SWM8 cannot connect to a SWM dish - so if you have a 5LNB or 3LNB dish with one output, that's a SWM dish, and a second multiswitch cannot be used with it.

since you have a second line you dont need the diplexer for your ota where noted above

Comment

Here's the reference for the link:

http://www.swm8.com/swm-specifications.php
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X