3 lnb or 5 lnb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 lnb or 5 lnb

im thinkin of changin out to a swm8 but im confused on whether i actually need a 3 or 5 lnb dish. how do i tell if any of my locals are on the old satelites to need the 5 lnb? might seem like a stupid question but i dont know? is it smarter to just put up the 5 lnb?

one more question

if i install the new 3 or 5 lnb dish before i get the swm8 can i run the 4 leads directly to my recivers or will it only work in conjunction with the swm8. im guessin not since the swm8 is the multiswitch.
    im gonna have 3 D10 legacy recievers as well a a new hd dvr box.
    which dish do you reccomend after reading my 2 posts?

Comment

Most likely you can use a 3lnb, but you'd have to call DIRECTV to see if there are any channels coming in on the 110 or 119 satellites in your area.

You can use the 3lnb or 5lnb without a SWM and install the SWM later.

Comment

swm8 question

so i can use the 5 lnb just like my old 3 lnb works just running directly to the recievers? and just to clarify something for me......once i get the swm8 i will only need one wire from the swm8 to whatver hd/dvr box i get and the swm8 eliminated the need for the second wire? and then my 3 old d10 boxes will run from the legacy ports? Should i worry about getting the swm8 now so i have it or is this something there still making? Also is the slimline 5 lnb the newest dish....... Thanks for all your help

Comment

Originally posted by rick b View Post
          so i can use the 5 lnb just like my old 3 lnb works just running directly to the recievers? and just to clarify something for me......once i get the swm8 i will only need one wire from the swm8 to whatver hd/dvr box i get and the swm8 eliminated the need for the second wire? and then my 3 old d10 boxes will run from the legacy ports? Should i worry about getting the swm8 now so i have it or is this something there still making? Also is the slimline 5 lnb the newest dish....... Thanks for all your help

the standard non swm 5 lnb dish has 4 outputs on it .... it should work with most of dtv recvrs... just run your lines to each recvr as needed...
          the swm 8 has 3 legacy ports to run the older than d12 boxes... the swm outputs will do d12 & newer recvrs & as you said will only require 1 line for a 2tuner dvr that is swm compatible...the swm 8 is fairly new & should be around for a bit ...the newest 5lnb dish is the swm...but the standard 5lnb 4 output was developed just before it ....

Comment

5 lnb

so if i buy the standard 5 lnb non swm dish it will be compatible with my older d10 boxes. at least till i get the swm8 then run them of the legacy ports

Comment

Originally posted by rick b View Post
              so if i buy the standard 5 lnb non swm dish it will be compatible with my older d10 boxes. at least till i get the swm8 then run them of the legacy ports

right ... the d10 will setup & run on the 101 ,110, 119 sats... they will ignore the 99 & the 103 sats ... h20 or hr20 & newer will see the 99, 101, 103 , 110, & 119.... when you get the swm8 switch , you will run all 4 lines into it & then you will have 3 legacy ports for the older non swm recvrs & have 8 channels for the swm recvrs... doing the total of 8 swm tuners & 3 leg tuners

Comment

swm

ok thats pretty cool then....for some reason i thought that if i used all 3 legacy ports i would only have 5 swm available..... thank you sooo much for all this info. im gonna be ordering the dish here in the next week or so i think

Comment

Nope - it's technically a total of 11 tuners supported by a SWM 8, but the 3 legacy tuners are just limited to those older satellites.
                  Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                  X