Problems getting CCTV on new HR23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems getting CCTV on new HR23

We recently had to replace an H20 with and HR23, and now seem to have to choose between having the HD channels, or having our security cameras available. With the old box, we put the B-band converters in the equipment room to boost the HD channels above 850 MHz BEFORE we diplexed in the security cameras (on a modulator), and then pulled it out with another diplexer behind the box, but the HR23 has the B-Band built-in. It needs to see the 54-850 MHz MPEG4 HD signal on the 99 and the diplexer at the box pulls out the HD signal in addition to our cameras. Anyone have a workaround? Running another coax is not an option, and there are 10 or so other boxes that eventually will be replaced as they die.

DirecTV will not model-select replacements, and all I'm hearing is "you get what we send you", and right now they seem to have pulled all the HR21s and 22s out of their refurb cycle.

We've got some older units, if you need one.

I don't think you can manually adjust the B-bands on HR23s.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by darkridedp View Post
      We recently had to replace an H20 with and HR23, and now seem to have to choose between having the HD channels, or having our security cameras available. With the old box, we put the B-band converters in the equipment room to boost the HD channels above 850 MHz BEFORE we diplexed in the security cameras (on a modulator), and then pulled it out with another diplexer behind the box, but the HR23 has the B-Band built-in. It needs to see the 54-850 MHz MPEG4 HD signal on the 99 and the diplexer at the box pulls out the HD signal in addition to our cameras. Anyone have a workaround? Running another coax is not an option, and there are 10 or so other boxes that eventually will be replaced as they die.

DirecTV will not model-select replacements, and all I'm hearing is "you get what we send you", and right now they seem to have pulled all the HR21s and 22s out of their refurb cycle.

this may cost you ... but .... you can convert you hd dish to swm using the swm 8 switch.... then you can put your cam system on the ant in & diplex it to your tv ... or maybe just change your dish to swm & use the extra line if you have 2 going to the hr box ..... let us know more about your setup ....

Comment

More about system layout

This install has a slimline 5 with four leads to the equipment room. Leads are split through high freq splitters into a SWM-8 that's fully loaded running 4 HR22s, and a fully loaded Satellite USA WBS41602NF 16-output multiswitch that runs H20s and a couple of single-tuner HR22s in the rest of the house. Cameras are running through a modulator on channels 14-24, and the camera feed is connected to the terresterial-in on the SWM-8 and individually with a diplexer to each of the feeds from the WBS41602NF. I didn't want to have to add another SWM, more high freq splitters and power supplies since the H20s don't need it, and this is the only DVR location that would need the SWM-boosted frequencies. I'm not even sure exactly how I'd do that, as the natural breaks are at 1, 2 and 4 SWMs and the wiring gets messy fast. Unfortunately, this location is also one that really needs the camera feeds. Yes, I could just move one of the older boxes to this location, but that just transfers the underlying no-camera problem to wherever this new box lands.

I was hoping someone had a workaround for this, as the 20, 21, and 22 are officially discontinued and as the old boxes blow up and are replaced, I'm going to have to install SWM at every one of my client's houses. Not that I'm complaining about the business, but a simple box replacement could cost my customers a couple grand in related upgrades. Hard to sell, especially since DirecTV doesn't even acknowledge or understand that anyone would need to run other signals on the coax

This house was extensively remodeled 3 years ago (in Los Angeles it's technically a remodel if you leave 10' of studs standing and bulldoze everything else) and unfortunately the contractor was an idiot and only ran 1 coax to each room (if that) before putting in $15M of Venetian plaster. Tearing up wall to run more wire is not an option.
        Last edited by darkridedp; 04-10-2010, 04:09 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Originally posted by darkridedp View Post
          This install has a slimline 5 with four leads to the equipment room. Leads are split through high freq splitters into a SWM-8 that's fully loaded running 4 HR22s, and a fully loaded Satellite USA WBS41602NF 16-output multiswitch that runs H20s and a couple of single-tuner HR22s in the rest of the house. Cameras are running through a modulator on channels 14-24, and the camera feed is connected to the terresterial-in on the SWM-8 and individually with a diplexer to each of the feeds from the WBS41602NF. I didn't want to have to add another SWM, more high freq splitters and power supplies since the H20s don't need it, and this is the only DVR location that would need the SWM-boosted frequencies. I'm not even sure exactly how I'd do that, as the natural breaks are at 1, 2 and 4 SWMs and the wiring gets messy fast. Unfortunately, this location is also one that really needs the camera feeds. Yes, I could just move one of the older boxes to this location, but that just transfers the underlying no-camera problem to wherever this new box lands.

I was hoping someone had a workaround for this, as the 20, 21, and 22 are officially discontinued and as the old boxes blow up and are replaced, I'm going to have to install SWM at every one of my client's houses. Not that I'm complaining about the business, but a simple box replacement could cost my customers a couple grand in related upgrades. Hard to sell, especially since DirecTV doesn't even acknowledge or understand that anyone would need to run other signals on the coax

This house was extensively remodeled 3 years ago (in Los Angeles it's technically a remodel if you leave 10' of studs standing and bulldoze everything else) and unfortunately the contractor was an idiot and only ran 1 coax to each room (if that) before putting in $15M of Venetian plaster. Tearing up wall to run more wire is not an option.
          well it looks like ....out with the old & in with the new...

it seems like the only way ... replace the 16 way with the swm 8's & you can diplex in & get dual tuners....

Comment

k

Lets make sure I have this correct...

1. All 8 swm channels are being used by 4 dvrs
            2. You only have one wire going to each room
            3. Other receivers are being run off of a 6x16 multi switch with a Ka/Ku 4 line LNB.
            4. You have more than 8 tuners on the 6x16
            5. You are able to see the cctv on the HR22s running off the swim module
            6. The dvrs on the 6x16 only operate as single tuners.

I don't want to hurt your feelings but we need to stop thinking house technology and think about apartment complex technology. Down here the normal installer would have a very hard time getting the parts and I do not think it will work with your 6x16. If you look up ( DIRECTV Quad SWM-E4 ) in yahoo you will find it allow you to run up to 4 swm modulators off of a single dish. This will give you 32 tuners and will cut down on some of your wires if you use 4 8-way splitters, only needs one power pack, and allows you to turn on the second tuners for the dvrs running off the 6x16.

Now here is the bad news... The quad swm coupler is not compatible with the "Multi room dvr" technology that is in beta testing. For that to work correctly you will need the new swm16 or swm32 and If I did not have the training manual in my hand I would not know that they existed because I can't find them any where.
            Last edited by Satellite Dude; 04-11-2010, 02:43 PM. Reason: Adding more data

Comment

Working...
            X