SWM and Beta Media Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM and Beta Media Sharing

I haven't seen anyone ask or state if the DirecTv DVR Beta sharing works over the SWM so guess I'm doing that now.

I will have a second DVR installed this weekend, primarily for use as a second source for recording conflicting shows. You know how it goes, three shows on at the same time and you miss one of them. So the new DVR will end up in my bedroom so we can use it there as well.

Something just hit me square between the eyes... Does the media sharing happen over the coax or ethernet? If it's ethernet then I guess it's a moot point since I'll have to run a bit of wire.

Anyway, I hope the installer shows up with SWM since my bedroom is on the second floor and the TV is against an inside wall in the moddle of the house. There will be no running directly from outside to the inside. I'd end up buying the SWM equipment myself after making a complaint to DirecTv since they did state the SWM was available. Just hope the installer doesn't look like a deer in headlights when I mention it.

And I'm glad WeaKnees has added support for SWM. I've done some buisiness in the distant past with my old DirecTv TiVo units and had no complaints.

-Joe

I think the future of media sharing with DIRECTV will be over coax (SWM). The newest boxes will support MoCA, and there will be an adapter for boxes that don't have native support.

Comment

The Directv MRV (Multi-Room Video) is in national beta testing right now. Customers may connect their DVRs to their home network with ethernet. My understanding is when it is out of beta testing Directv will use their own form of MoCA called DeCA which will utilize the OTA frequency spectrum on SWiM systems. A SWiM system will be required. There is some speculation whether Directv will allow customers to continue to use their existing home network or if the DeCA setup will be required. From a troubleshooting standpoint, it would make more sense for Directv to mandate the DeCA installation (one setup style vs. countless setups with different brands of networking equipment). One downside of the DeCA using the OTA frequencies is customers with rooftop antennas won't be able to diplex the signal on a single cable.

Comment

I believe that the DeCA through SWM will not wipe out the OTA frequencies. I believe there are 8 SWM channels + a 9th channel for use of MRV.

Comment

I wonder if the HR23 have this MoCA built in already, I'm possitive my HR21 doesn't. Man, I'd like to get my HR21 upgraded, the hard drive is so loud it drives me nuts while watching something at low volume. Well that's another story.

So, the way I understood an add-on DeCA box is it will have connections on the SWiM coax connection and also plug into one of the Ethernet ports on the IRD. This makes me think that the systems would be backwards compatible with Ethernet not using the DeCA system. I also understood the DeCA would be using the bandwidth where OTA signals reside which would prevent the use of OTA as well. Maybe this could be called SWiM #9? I guess we all won't know for sure until one of these hits the streets.

I was able to use two DIR-825 routers with DD-WRT loaded on them to make the connection between them. No stuttering at all on HD programming.

Thanks for all the info you folks put out here.

-Joe

Comment

Working...
          X