New Wiring Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wiring Questions

I would appreciate any suggestions on what I need to request from DirecTV and my the guy who is going to do the wiring in the rooms (not DirecTV).

BACKGROUND
    I recently moved to a rental and had DirecTV come out (movers connection) plus upgrade to the new H23HD boxes (2). The DirecTV installer stated that the dish the rental had in place will not support the new boxes, so we need to install a new dish. I asked about SWM and my old Tivo boxes (HR10-250, GXCEBOT) and he stated well they can't use the new dish. His solution was to mount a new dish for the H23HD with SWM to each box and use the old dish for the old DirecTIVOs. I told him I am moving in 10 months to a new house so what do I need to take with me. He said the new dish and he pointed me to a module outside where the cable came into the house and said take this as well along with the wiring coming from the boxes inside to wall plates.

WHAT I NEED
    Although I only have 2 HR23HD boxes now for two rooms I would like to phase out the older boxes and add additional HR23HD boxes, thus I would like to have everything using the SWM method. I need 8 boxes in the new house. The 8 rooms are already wired for cable, so I can use that line in those rooms to connect the boxes, however what do I need to take from what I already have, what do I need to purchase, the lines running to the rooms need to go to what type of multiswitch/dish etc. I had an understanding the old way but the SWM confuses me.

Thanks for your help.

If you're going to have 8 DVRs, you need a system that will support 16 tuners. Assuming you have a SWM dish now (not a standard dish with a SWM8) then you only have support for 8 tuners and you can't go beyond that. If you do have a SWM8, you can expand. Otherwise, you'll need a new LNB for your dish that does NOT have SWM, and then a SWM16 (should be out by then) or two SWM8s.

Can you see what's in that box?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay. I needed to see what it was, however it is raining today and the box has a plastic lock on it, so I could not get in today. I did see that my new dish is a Slimline dish and has a single wire coming from the dish to the box on the side of my house. From what I remember the metal box module he told me to take with me looked like a splitter of some kind. Does that help? If the weather is good tomorrow I can open the box and take a look again. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

So it's probably a SWM dish, and there's a 1x4 or 1x8 splitter in the box.

That being the case, you'll need a different LNB to get the old units working, with probably a SWM8 for the new units. See the SWM8 here:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm

and the non-SWM LNB here at the bottom:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-dish.php
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So are you saying I need to get a new dish which will support both the older units and the new units? I guess I'm confused. Let's take the olds units out of the equation as I won't set them up. I will set up the 2 new units and purchase a 3rd unit (guest room). I will then plan on adding 5 boxes overtime. Do I need to switch dishes? It looks like the multiswitch is in the dish, so from your first response I only have 4 boxes or 8 tuners. I will eventually need 8 boxes and 16 tuners. This would be the preferred method.

Comment

If you are using only new receivers that are all compatible with your SWM dish, then you can continue using that dish, but you will be limited to 8 tuners total. A DVR counts as 2 tuners. Since you are talking about having 2 HD DVRs at a minimum (that's 4 tuners), then you could only have 4 more non-DVR units connected to this SWM dish.

Said another way, to get all of the receivers you want, you are going to need to swap the dish and get SWM8 equipment. I'd recommend a standard 5LNB dish and our 2-SWM package.

Dish is here:

DIRECTV Dish

E2 Package ($399.99) is here:

SWM Equipment for Large Installations

Comment

If you are using only new receivers that are all compatible with your SWM dish, then you can continue using that dish, but you will be limited to 8 tuners total. A DVR counts as 2 tuners. Since you are talking about having 2 HD DVRs at a minimum (that's 4 tuners), then you could only have 4 more non-DVR units connected to this SWM dish.

Said another way, to get all of the receivers you want, you are going to need to swap the dish and get SWM8 equipment. I'd recommend a standard 5LNB dish and our 2-SWM package.

Dish is here:

DIRECTV Dish

Comment

Dish is here:

DIRECTV Dish

Comment

Working...
                X