MRV - I'm So Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRV - I'm So Confused

I have 5 HR-23s. Each is located within inches of a cat5 outlet in my home network. My SWM is buried in my attic, about 75' from the attic access (read: PITA to get to), and no where near my home network. I want to do MRV. I've looked a the wiring diagram and it looks like I'm screwed? Help?

Why screwed? You just install a DECA at each HR23 and then another at your router.

Comment

So aside from a DECA at each HR23, I need a coax line coming from my SWM into a DECA that has its network cable connected to my network (as opposed to into a DVR). Is that right?

If so, then need to get a coax line from my SWM to somewhere close to my network. That's the real issue... Hmmm...

Comment

You don't need a coax at your router (although that would work). You can run ETHERNET from the router to any SWM splitter with an open port, and connect the DECA there.

Comment

Thanks, Jeff. Can I take a line going into one of my HR23s, split it with a 1x2 SMW splitter, put two DECA's on it, one into the HR 23 and one into my network?

Comment

Yes. Just be sure that the DECA going to the network is powered with a DECA power supply.

Comment

Perfect! Thanks.

Comment

Holy cow. So I now have 6 DECAs and a splitter.

On one of the HR23s, I connect the splitter to the two DECAs, one gets a power supply and connected to my network, the other to the HR23. That HR23 can see the network, all lights on both DECAs are green. S'all good.

I go connect the DECA on another box, and it doesn't work. The c.link light on it just flashes and it can't see the network. I've reset the box, still no go.

So I call DTV just to see if they can buy me a clue. They tell me not only do I have to pay for a tech to come out (at something like $50), but I also have to pay them $99 and commit to a 24 month service commitment just to get MRV working.

I said I don't need a tech. They don't care. They won't turn on MRV without sending out a tech, and without a 24-month commitment.

Is this SOP for DTV? Holy cow! Can't I get this working myself?

Comment

It seems that some operators at DTV think people can't hook up a network by themselves. Try telling them your local AV guy came over and connected everything. That should get over their resistance and allow them to charge you the $3/month that they want.
                  Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Can you help me understand why I'm getting just a flashing yellow c.link light? Or will that happen until I get their service hooked up?

Since these come with no instructions, I'm kinda without a clue. I have gone into network setup on the one that's all green and it says it can get to the network fine, but when I go into "network services" (is that the next step?) I get an error 202. Does that come on when they enable the account? Does that solve the yellow c.link errors on the other ones?

Thanks guys, you're great!

Comment

That doesn't sound good. Can you try switching the locations of the adapters to make sure it isn't a bad adapter?

Comment

New to this forum, but maybe my experiences will help. I have 2 DIrect Tv dvrs, HR 22's I think. No SWM. I just plugged them into the home network. They could download from Direct, and can see other devices on my network, so I know they were functioning on the network. Now for the fun part with Direct. I called and asked about MRV. Was told that I needed a tech to come out and change equipment. I declined. Hung up and called back. Same story. Hung up and called back. Finally got a young man and explained, they were networked on a gigabit switch, and could see the internet and other devices etc. He explained that he was required to tell me it might not work, required to tell me that it might slow my home network, (how much data are they sending between units I thought), and did I still want to do it. Sure I said. So he turned it on. It is working fine. No SWM, no DECA, just Cat 5 hardwire thru a gigabit switch. So I guess the lesson is to keep calling?

Comment

Yup - they're pretty reluctant to enable MRV without having their installers come out. Seems a little short sighted for $3/month - worst case, they could just credit you back. But pushing a little usually does the trick.

Comment

Working...
                          X