Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pretty simple setup, and possible grounding issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty simple setup, and possible grounding issue?

Hi there, I've been reading all I can to try and figure out my problem with my SWM but have been unable to get it going. Hopefully, someone here can point me in the right direction.

I've got a very simple setup - Slimline dish with the SWM LNB straight into my basement, connected to the PI-21, then off to my HR-24. My problem is that I think I have a grounding issue? I ran this system fine for a full year (July '09 - July '10). Then, I started having the SFSS (searching for sat signal) and x.771 message. When I check signal strength, I'd get all 0's. I would get on the roof to check if the dish alignment is off, but it hasn't moved. After buttoning everything back up again, I'd be back to having a signal and it would be in the high 80's to low 90's. Yesterday when trying to get it working, I touched the SWM LNB and got a little shock. Also, during the course of my troubleshooting, I was getting a bit of a shock when disconnecting the 'Power to SWM' cable. What do you think? Grounding or bad crimping/compression fitting somewhere? My dish is installed on our vinyl siding. Does it build up static and require grounding?

When this issues first arose, i replaced both the PI-21 and LNB but still had SFSS. I have now replaced the receiver as well, but I still have SFSS most of the time. Do I need anything more than just a grounding block for the RG-6 cable? Of course, I'll hook up the GB to my house's earth ground, but should i be looking at also running a wire from one of the bolts on the dish to the house ground as well?

At this point, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance,
    Tim

Originally posted by powdrdog View Post
    Hi there, I've been reading all I can to try and figure out my problem with my SWM but have been unable to get it going. Hopefully, someone here can point me in the right direction.

I've got a very simple setup - Slimline dish with the SWM LNB straight into my basement, connected to the PI-21, then off to my HR-24. My problem is that I think I have a grounding issue? I ran this system fine for a full year (July '09 - July '10). Then, I started having the SFSS (searching for sat signal) and x.771 message. When I check signal strength, I'd get all 0's. I would get on the roof to check if the dish alignment is off, but it hasn't moved. After buttoning everything back up again, I'd be back to having a signal and it would be in the high 80's to low 90's. Yesterday when trying to get it working, I touched the SWM LNB and got a little shock. Also, during the course of my troubleshooting, I was getting a bit of a shock when disconnecting the 'Power to SWM' cable. What do you think? Grounding or bad crimping/compression fitting somewhere? My dish is installed on our vinyl siding. Does it build up static and require grounding?

When this issues first arose, i replaced both the PI-21 and LNB but still had SFSS. I have now replaced the receiver as well, but I still have SFSS most of the time. Do I need anything more than just a grounding block for the RG-6 cable? Of course, I'll hook up the GB to my house's earth ground, but should i be looking at also running a wire from one of the bolts on the dish to the house ground as well?

At this point, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance,
    Tim

ground the wire & the dish ....

Comment

Yup - DirecTV says to always ground your dish. Hopefully that's all there is to it, but you also might have a staple through the RG6 somewhere shorting it out.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Is there anywhere in particular that i need to attach my ground cable to the dish? What kind of troubleshooting can I do by measuring voltages from the RG-6 compression fittings to ground? Is there an easy way to find out where/what might be causing the issue?

Comment

Dish should be grounded but this sounds like a bad lnb!

Comment

OK, so I put back the original 'old style' SWM LNB and everything is working again. I'll see how long this lasts..... Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Working...
            X