Clear All

• Want to split the 4 incoming signals from DTv Satellite

I am a DirecTv customer and here is my original setup:
    4 incoming lines into:
    ZINWELL WB68
    - 2 lines to HR22
    - 2 lines to Samsung DVR
    - 2 lines to Samsung DVR

I have recently installed the equipment below to move closer to whole home.

SWM-8 w/ power inserter
    To SWS 8
    - 1 line to HR24
    - 1 line to HR22

SWM-8 Legacy Ports
    - Legacy 1 to 13V on Zinwell WB68
    - Legacy 2 to 18V on Zinwell WB68

Zinwell WB68
    - 2 lines to Samsung DVR
    - 2 lines to Samsung DVR

The problem I am having; no local channels at the older Samsungs. It is like the only signals getting through the WB68 is satellite 101. I have read a few threads explaining why this is.

My question; can I install 4 high frequency splitters upstream of the SWM-8 so I can send 4 lines to the SWM-8 and 4 lines to the Zinwell WB68?

I called DirecTv to see what could be the problem.
    A DirecTv guy came out today (a free customer evaluation?) to see why I am not getting locals out of the Legacy ports. He told me high frequency splitters could not be installed like above; and would not work like that. To get local channels I would have to get rid of the SWM-8 and bring all 4 incoming lines to the Zinwell WB68.

I do not trust DirecTv techs at all; I can go on about this in another thread, basically cost me $1,100 to cut down a tree that was not the problem. I chalked that up as stupid tax; and will not allow them to control my install ever again.

So, back to my original issue; I can attach a diagram of my setup if you would like. I found the drawing showing 2 SWMs split using high frequency splitters; but will this same installation work with a SWM and the WB68? I need to know if this will work. Then I am off to the races until I upgrade the Samsungs to HD-DVRs in the future.

And which splitters should I buy? Are there better splitters, and will just normal High Freq. splitters do? Anything special things I need to know about them.

Thanks,
    manotron

p.s. do not forget to install a minimum of 15 ft. RG6 between the power insterter and the SWM-8.
    Last edited by manotron; 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM.

Yes, you can do the high-frequency splitters. We even have a PDF of that here:

http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/swm-wb68.pdf

The key is to make sure that each leg off the same splitter goes to the same voltage at each multiswitch.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply, I was looking at that pdf earlier; and was very confident it showed a working solution. In fact, that will be my setup after I get the splitters.

But after having that DirecTv guy over here looking at my set up; nicely installed onto a sheet of plywood in my attic, easy to see every connection; and listening to him tell me I had to revert back to my old set up just to have all my channels did not make since. He was telling me to get rid of the SWM-8, power inserter, and SWS-8. And only use the WB68. That is moving away from the direction DirecTv is going!

He even asked me why I wanted whole home! I told him because I wanted both of my current HD-DVRs to be connected, so I do not have to record the same show on several boxes to be able to choose where I want to watch the show. Then in the future I wanted the Samsungs upgraded to HD-DVRS to get them onto the whole home setup.

I like DirecTv but have not had good experiences with the tech guys. They are very poor in knowledge but yet are given the task to be the experts for an installation. Maybe they are good at basic general installations, not custom or different installations. Is my setup really that custom? I would think there are a lot of home setups like mine; in the middle of HD and SD with DVRs that work. At some point my home will be full HD, but not now.

Anyways; I really enjoy this website and the information you guys have. You are very knowledgeable, Thank you for helping me solve this issue and to understand how to make my home entertainment needs come true.

manotron

Comment

Yeah - often the local installers seem to be working with a mindset tuned to technology that's a generation behind or so.

Comment

I bought the High Feq. Splitters 5-2100 Hz. All way Power splitters; installed them to split the 4 signals coming from the Satellite; and everything works great.
          I have Full channels going through the SWM-8; and Full channels going through the WB68. So my HD DVRS, and older Samsung SD DVRS are doing great!

Thank you for the design knowledge and help.

The DirecTv tech on the phone and the guy who came to my house both swore you could not split these signals. That I would have to either go back to everything going through the WB68 (which would stop me from ever getting Whole Home) or everything going through the SWM-8 (which would make me have to upgrade my Samsung DVRs to newer technology). Both scenarios I did not want to do.

I have DirecTv and like it, but I have it and like it because I have installed everything so that I can have the system I want. If I would have let these "professionals" install my system I would hate it and it would really be junk; using a junk design that doesn't even come close to using today's technology. Shabby install, pieces installed just because it is what they had on the truck.

I am very disappointed in DirecTv; very disappointed. I do not want anyone to think DirecTv's programming or signal to the satellite is not good. It is; no complaints about that, but the service and the installers are absolute junk. Do not trust them, and use the internet to answer your questions.

Comment

Well, this is a pretty advanced installation design. We specialize in situations like this and we take a fair amount of training courses to understand how this works, but not every local installer does. For my part, I can't aim a dish at all, and these local guys can do it with their eyes closed.

Comment

Working...
            X