Basic SD to HD upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic SD to HD upgrade

I have been able to learn a lot from your forums so thank you! I have not been able to completely understand what is necessary to upgrade my existing system however.
    I have a 1990’s 18” dish with one line to the old SD DVR and I want to upgrade to an HD dish and utilize all the functionality of my new HD DVR. This is an old grandfathered RV set up that DirecTV won’t upgrade.
    What dish or setup should I buy? It sounds like I should order a SWM dish set up and place the multiswitch and power inserter where the single cable currently goes to the old SD DVR, is that correct? Should it be 3 lnb or 5 lnb, etc.? I currently don't get local channels and would like to get them if I can. Thanks in advance!

Yes - you should get a SWM to make the wiring easier, and to require only the one wire you currently have from the outside to the inside. I'm sorry to say we don't sell or have knowledge of dishes for RVs.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

If I should go elsewhere just let me know however I had the understanding that I could use a new HD dish with a tripod like I have done with the old 18" dish. If you can recommend one great hopefully addressing the 3 vs 5 lnb and local channels questions. Thanks again!

Comment

Well, the 3LNB versus 5LNB has to do with what HD stations are available in your home zip code, and they may not work elsewhere even so due to the use of spot beams. But a call to DirecTV should tell you whether you need a 3 or a 5 for your HD locals.

If you want a normal SWM dish with a tripod, we sell them. I assumed you were looking for a dish that automatically orients itself. But if you don't mind aiming it each time, we have them here:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-dish.php
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Great, thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X