No announcement yet.

Can you tell me if I've got this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you tell me if I've got this right?

I currently have two HR20-700 HD DVR's and I have an HR24 HD DVR+ on the way. The DirecTV technician was also just out here (because of some HD reception issues) and said he replaced the existing LNB with a similar but newer one (still 4 cables coming from the dish) that is SWM compatible. Additionally, I have a home ethernet/wireless network with physical cable connections accessible by each receiver. Are the following reasons correct as to why I would get a SWM8 with PI, a 1x4 splitter, 2 DECA adapters (for the HR20's), and a DECA router package rather than simply connecting each receiver to my network via ethernet cable:

1) The HR20's won't do MRV without the DECA adapters,
    2) Connecting an ethernet cable to the HR24 will disable it's MRV capability, and
    3) Without the SWM setup, each of these dual tuner receivers would still need a second coax cable from the current switch in order to simultaneously record (or record & watch) two different channels?

If so, do three of the outs from the 1x4 splitter go to the receivers and the fourth one goes to the router DECA?

Also, even though only one cable goes to each receiver, does the fact that it is a SWM setup mean they are capable of using both tuners and, if so, does each receiver with it's one cable still count as 2 out of the 8 connections supported by the SWM8? And the router DECA connection counts as 1? Leaving 1 still available?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

#3 is right.

As for 1 and 2, the reason you need DECA/SWM is because DIRECTV requires it (more or less) to get MRV.

Yes, as to the splitter outputs.

Yes--one cable to each DVR powers 2 tuners and 1 DVR counts as 2 tuners for SWM counting. The DECA router does NOT count. With 3 DVRs you have 2 left (ie you can add another DVR even with the DECA router in place).

Comment

Thanks so much for your quick reply, which raised one last question (which I think I already know the answer to.) If I ever wanted to add a fourth DVR, the single SWM8 would support it, but I would need something like the 1x8 splitter, since the 1x4 would already have the fourth output taken up by the router DECA, yes?

Thanks again.

Comment

Right - or a 1x2 coming off one port on the 1x4.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the info! Just placed my order!

Comment

Working...
          X