Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SWM LNB with 2-way splitter and two 4-way splitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM LNB with 2-way splitter and two 4-way splitter?

I am buying a new house and the existing cable in interior walls is very old and in pretty bad shape. I am replacing all of this interior wall cable with RG-6Q prior to the DirecTV tech coming out for my install.

I want all cables (except the single wire from the dish) to be inside the attic/walls. I want to avoid any cables on the exterior as much as possible.

I have a question while I am prepping the cable for his visit.

My house is a U shape and the center room has vaulted ceilings. There is no way to get from one side of the house to the other in the attic. There is however a hole with 1 existing cable passing through, so I will be able to connect the 2 sides of the house.

My configuration will be 3 HD (1 is whole home DVR) receivers on one side of the house. The other side of the house will have 1 HD receiver and 2 SD receivers.

My question is, will they be able to come in on one side of the house to a 2-way splitter with one side going to a 4-way to connect the 3 HD receivers. With the other half of the 2-way connecting to the cable running between the 2 sides of the home to another 4-way that will connect the 4th HD receiver and 2 SD receivers?

Thanks

Another thought I had would eliminate the 2-way but I don't know if this is possible either.

Come in on the side of the house with 2 SD and 1 HD. Go directly to a 4-way. Use the 4th port of the 4way to connect a 4-way on the other side of the house.

Mainly I just need to know if the single wire running between the 2 sides of the house will be OK.

Thanks.

Comment

That should be fine - the real question is, how good is that old piece of cable, and how long is the run.

Bottom line, I'd try it and see. Unless you've got an 8000 square foot house or something else unusual, you should be fine.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

According to my cable length finder it is 187 feet long. I could surely make it shorter if needed. This cable has probably been in there for 30 years. I would just prefer to replace place.

You could draw a straight line between each end of the cable that is probably only 60 feet. But like I said the house is U shaped and this cable is at each end of the U.

Comment

Shorter is definitely better, and newer is also better.

200 feet of cable is what we recommend as the max per SWM system without an amplifier, although it's a safe number that people frequently exceed without problems. But more splitters and older cable put you at a greater likelihood of having problems.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X