SWM or not to SWM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM or not to SWM

I have a 3LNB on a slimline dish with one eye and 4 cables coming out running approximantly 75 ft to a grounding block. 2 cables running back toward dish inside cottage to 1 HD receiver and 1 really old receiver (no local on this one).

Here's my problem, new main structure is another 125 ft from the dish and I need to figure out how to get 4 HD receivers setup at new structure. I've been told the run is too long and I cannot get the dish any closer because of trees (not on my property).

What equipment or upgrades do I need? Do I start with a new SWM LNB if so how do I wire it from there? What kind of cable should I use for the long run? Do I need splitters or amps, if so what kind?

Sorry for all the questions

So the new place is now 200 feet from the dish? Any structures or places to plug in an amp on that run?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, the cottage has power. The LNB is a SL3PIG, not sure if that makes any difference.

Comment

Well, if you can put the SWM8 in the cottage with the power inserter, then run from there to the house, you might be fine without amplification. It's worth a shot before you go further.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK, this part is clear, the 4 cables from the dish go to the SWM8. A single cable can be ran from the SWM8 to the new house with a SWM splitter for the 4 receivers.

I've read a lot of conflicting information about distances between equipment so I have a few question.

What's the ideal distance for the SWM8 from the dish and does it have to be inside?

What's the furthest distance the PI can be from the SWM8? I know the PI has to be inside.

Do I use the 1st port for the PI and run the receivers in the cottage off this one and use the 2nd port for the long run to the new house.

If I choose to use a powered amp for the long run where's the best place in line for it?

Comment

There is no 'ideal' distance...it's what works vs what doesn't....and you'd really have to try it to know. If you have long runs, RG11 is always better than RG6. The SWM8 can be installed indoors or outdoors. I would recommend you running the SWM1 to the PI and to the cottage and the SWM2 to the house. An inline amp can go anywhere inline where there is power.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I plan on replacing the existing grounding block with SWM8 so I can use the existing ground wires.

Do you have a recommended amp? My plan is to put one on the line to the house in front of the 1X4 splitter.

Comment

Yes, see the SWM inline amp here:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv-...tallations.php

Comment

Working...
                X