Whole Home DVR, SWM, and DVR40 "DirecTiVo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Home DVR, SWM, and DVR40 "DirecTiVo"

(This may have been answered but I couldn't find it in a fairly quick search.)

DirecTV offered me Whole Home DVR for the $49 installation price.

Then they told me that my RCA DVR40 would "not work at all" with the single wire multiswitch. (I'd be connecting 3 other DirecTV HD DVRs to the SWM.)

My understanding is the SWM comes with at least 3 "legacy ports" that would work just like ports from my current multiswitch. Seems to me my (non-HD) DirecTiVo ought to work just fine connected to two of those legacy ports.

The DirecTV customer service reps were equally adamant that it would not work and they would need to swap out my (hello, personally owned!) DVR40 for another DVR. I would like to keep my old box, because I own it, and because it has been upgraded to 400+ hours of capacity!

Color me skeptical that the CSRs have any clue what they're actually talking about.

Who's right - DirecTV phone people or the internet (and Weaknees)?

Is my installer likely to understand what I'm saying?
    Last edited by marconi64; 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM.

Internet and weaKnees are right. You can connect the DTiVo to the legacy ports of the SWM8 and have no problem with the WHDVR service on your receivers connected to the SWM ports.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      Internet and weaKnees are right. You can connect the DTiVo to the legacy ports of the SWM8 and have no problem with the WHDVR service on your receivers connected to the SWM ports.
      Did a little more research.

Maybe what they plan to install is the SWM LNB, at the dish? Apparently that has no legacy ports.

Comment

Just got off the phone with DirecTV. The tech I spoke with was able to keep both these thoughts in her head:

1. My installer is bringing an SWM16 to my installation.

2. My DVR40 DirecTiVo is "not compatible" and "would be swapped out."

I guess I will get to have another conversation next week, this time with the actual installer.

Comment

Just connect the TiVo to the legacy ports of the SWM; you'll be fine.

Comment

Sweet.

After some more back and forth on the phone with HQ, my installer actually set up what I wanted!

Whole Home DVR is up and running, and "legacy" TiVo is connected as well. Thanks for your help.

Comment

No problem; glad it worked out!

Comment

Working...
              X