SWM Needed for single HD setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM Needed for single HD setup?

I currently have a SD DirecTV Tivo unit. I am looking to upgrade to the THR22 unit, which is the HD Tivo unit. I will only have the one unit. Currently, there are two cables running from the dish to the DVR. I understand I will need a new dish to get HD, as the one I have is quite a few years old and doesn't support HD. My question is, do I need an SWM? I know that using an SWM would mean I only need one cable to the unit, but since I already have two cables, that really isn't an issue. I've looked at the wiring diagrams, but I'm still a little confused.

Thanks!

Stacey

Nope - you don't need SWM in that situation. You can save the money on the dish (and a bit on the power usage) but sticking with a new, non-SWM dish.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank, Michael.

Comment

Okay, on thinking it over, I will probably get an SWM anyway, simply because it will make adding a second receiver/DVR much easier in the future. I do have another question, perhaps a trivial one. I intend to use existing cable, and the cable from the power inserter to the actual SWM will have a coax coupler (female to female - I believe the type is F81) in it. Is that going to hurt anything? The total cable length is about 40 feet or so.

Comment

Should be fine - that's short enough that the signal loss due to the coupler won't matter.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, Michael.

Comment

Working...
            X