Convert Legacy Home Run Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Legacy Home Run Setup

My father has a legacy DirecTV switch setup like this.

1 HR-21 with two tuners
    1 R-22 with two tuners (Originally SD but now HD)

A dish with 4 cables running into a un powered Zinwell 6x8 switch in the crawl space. There are 4 cables run from the switch to the two receivers. This was done pretty nicely with receptacle plates in the walls instead of just wires through the floor.

He wants a HR-34 which requires a conversion to SWM. The issue is I don't want to disturb the connections to the wall plates but there is no power in the crawl space.

What do others think the best way to handle this would be?

No problem. Just replace the 6x8 with a SWM. The SWM8 power supply can be located at any receiver. Just remember that if you want an HR34 and the HR21 and an R22, that's 9 tuners, so you'd need a SWM16.

Once you have the SWM in place, you'll disconnect one of the lines to each DVR and you'll remove the B-band converters on the HR21/R22.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      No problem. Just replace the 6x8 with a SWM. The SWM8 power supply can be located at any receiver. Just remember that if you want an HR34 and the HR21 and an R22, that's 9 tuners, so you'd need a SWM16.

Once you have the SWM in place, you'll disconnect one of the lines to each DVR and you'll remove the B-band converters on the HR21/R22.
      They will be getting rid of the R22.

Does not the power inserted need to be wired before the 1x4 splitter? I need the 1x4 splitter and the SWM-8 to be in the crawl space as all 4 cables to the receivers terminate there.

Comment

No, the power inserter can be after the splitter so long as it is connected to the red power-passing port on the splitter.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
          No, the power inserter can be after the splitter so long as it is connected to the red power-passing port on the splitter.
          Cool, that sounds easy enough to do. Now I just have to ID which cable I will connect the power inserter.

Comment

That's definitely important!
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X