DB35 Drive Availability/Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DB35 Drive Availability/Upgrade

I purchased a stock Seagate 750GB drive to upgrade my Series3 but based on the noise level I would like to "upgrade" to the new DB35 drives. Two questions:

1) I heard from CDW that they will get some in stock 11/17. Do you have a projected availability date for your DB35 drives?

2) Any idea if I can simply boot off a Linux CD and run the "dd" command to copy my current 750GB drive to the new DB35 model?

Thanks,
    David

1) We expect them to come in today, actually. To be honest, we really doubt CDW will have them soon also, but we could be wrong.

2) Should work without a problem.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      1) We expect them to come in today, actually. To be honest, we really doubt CDW will have them soon also, but we could be wrong.
      Great! Any idea when I can order one? Will you need time to "tune" these new drives?

Comment

Bare drives are ready to order here.

Kits are ready to order here.

Comment

Bare drives are ready to order here.

Kits are ready to order here.
          It looks like these are the same price so I suppose I would go with the Kit. However, the kit does not indicate this is a DB35 drive like the first link you gave. Is the $499 750GB upgrade kit actually the DB35 drive? Do I specifically need to specify it?

Comment

We just haven't changed the kit page, but your order would be a DB35 drive. We'll change it as soon as they get delivered.

Comment

Just arrived! We'll change the site once we finish getting the orders out.

Comment

Hopefully, UPS will be delivering mine today.

Of course, before installing it, my wife and I will need to undertake a little mini-marathon to view some of the recordings that we must see that are located on the current stock drive.

Comment

Originally posted by gostan View Post
                  Hopefully, UPS will be delivering mine today.

Of course, before installing it, my wife and I will need to undertake a little mini-marathon to view some of the recordings that we must see that are located on the current stock drive.
                  Mine is out for delivery. I'll be transferring over my recordings to the new drive after it arrives later today.

Comment

Sounds good. You're doing a Linux DD? Or a "Tao"?

Comment

Unfortunately, the recordings transfer is a bit out of my league. I do not even have a windows desktop computer. Just an Apple Powerbook and and IMac.

Comment

I'm a big Mac user myself (on my MacBook Pro now). There's not a lot for Macs in the TiVo world, unfortunately, even though there seems to be a big correlation in the user-base.

Anyway, if you want us to, we can figure out getting your recordings transfered, but you'd have to send us both drives, so it may not make sense.

Comment

Sounds good. You're doing a Linux DD? Or a "Tao"?
                          I just got the drive. I plan to do Linux DD though I'm a little concerned when I hook up both drives how I will be able to tell in Linux which is the new one and which is the old one. Any ideas?

Comment

Try getting the size with:

Code:
                            hdparm -I /dev/sda
                            changing the "sda" as necessary.
                            Last edited by WK-Michael; 11-17-2006, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Well the 'dd' is on it's way. I THINK I got the source and destination correct but since they're both 750GB drives it was a little tricky. I'm hoping my assumption regarding how linux maps sda/sdb to the first/second SATA controller cables is correct. Crossing my fingers. When I upgraded the stock 250 drive with this 750 I also needed to run mfstools but since the drives are the same size I'm assuming also that I don't need to run this in this scenario.

Comment

Working...
                              X