Upgrade causes Reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade causes Reboot

Another reboot issue .. very strange one ..

I have replaced last week the original HD on a toshiba tx60 (2 years old, 10-20 sec freezes, more and more bad pixels etc.. but system stable), thinking that it had too many bad sectors now. I've used a weeknees seagate kit, 300gb received 2 weeks ago. Effortless install, guided setup OK, start OK. Then the tivo started to reboot. All the time. I've spent a couple of hours trying to reproduce/understand :
    - reading an existing DVD works fine - all functions
    - recording a DVD causes a reboot at 2% completion, roughly 8-10 minutes into the process, no matter when/how you try
    - watching live TV causes a reboot after 30 '. everytime
    - recording or watching a record causes a reboot after 20 '. everytime
    - fast forward pressed twice causes an immediate reboot (with a record or with live tv), everytime
    - recording is fine -- no bad sectors, but the system can't record more than 20' before rebooting !

Basically the thing is not usable .. I can't even watch live TV

It really looks like a hard drive problem .. Thanks for your help

Update - Kit failure

Update after a few more tests. Tried to re-do the set up (delete everything), and it's getting worst ...

now it won't even be able to complete the setup without rebooting in the middle of it. Basically reboot after 10-15 minutes of utilization.

Will return the kit to weaknees, definitively seems a hard disk failure issue

Comment

Please contact us for a repair number for your drive...we'll be happy to check it out and see if it's failing.
      That's all there is to it!

Comment

more tests

.. noticed when I removed the hd that the jumper was set to master, when on the factory assembled maxtor it's in cable select.. should not have any effect, there is only one HD in the toshiba .. but it does.. or it seems

Tried again with the jumper in CS on the seagate, was able to do the set up fine this time, and to record a 1h, 2h long shows fine. But now it systematically reboot after 29' or viewing or recording a DVD. Fast forward is OK, but when a record hits the 29' limit, reboot ..

struggling the idea that a failed HD could do this.. can it be that the software on it is corrupted ? does it works better now just because of the setup refresh.. How can I do a clean install of the OS then ?

or is something wrong between the HD and the unit.. any incompatibilities issues witht this toshiba ? Thanks !

Comment

Hmm...you're correct that the change in jumper settings should have had no affect so I'm a little stumped. The only way to get a clean version of the OS on there is to send it to us for a reformat. The symptoms you've described certainly are peculiar.
          That's all there is to it!

Comment

.. so peculiar indeed that I did some research .. found a couple of comments on old Tivo units that showed the same behavior, and the recommendation to serioulsy clean all power cables and jumps. Tried this and things improved a little.. Tried again, this time spending some time on each pin, one by one. for the past two days zero reboot .. very strange. So I'll keep the HD for another two weeks of tests and let you know if the case is solved ..

Comment

Working...
            X