No announcement yet.

DirecTivo hard disks specific to model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirecTivo hard disks specific to model?

I bought a replacement/upgrade 80GB hard drive from WeaKnees for a Phillips DSR7000 (Series 2 Directv Tivo box). I installed it and it worked fine.

Shortly after this, the DSR7000 gave up the ghost with a bad tuner. I decided to scrap it but I removed the new 80GB drive, and installed it instead in a Hughes HDVR2. The HDVR2 will not work now: it gets through boot up and presents the normal Directv main menu, but choosing the Now Playing list gives me a message about a hardware error and suggests calling Phillips to report error code #51.

I was under the impression that the DSR7000 and HDVR2 were essentially identical, just manufactured by different companies. But this episode, especially the fact that the error message suggests calling Phillips specifically, make me think there must be something different about them.

So, am I wasting my time trying to get a WeaKnees upgrade drive for one Dtivo model to work in another DTivo model? Is there a physical difference in the drive, or (more likely I guess) different software loaded on it? Is there any way I can get this drive to work in my Hughes HDVR2?
    Last edited by forestial; 11-08-2008, 04:58 PM. Reason: clarification

While we don't recommend using the wrong OS for one of these units, your error #51 is just a consequence of moving the drive, and can easily be fixed. See the info here:

http://www.tivopedia.com/error-51-hardware-error.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X