Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green screen ~2 months after weakNees upgrade

Hi,

Two months ago I ordered the weaKnees "Philips HDR212 TiVo Upgrade Kit: Add one 160gb hard drive". The install went smoothly and things worked great until yesterday. I noticed that the amber light was on, as if the TiVo were making its daily call, but it had been on all day and the phone was not in use. So I decided to reboot the TiVo in hopes that it would fix the light.

After it rebooted, I got the green screen of death, and now my TiVo just repeatedly reboots to the green screen. I've read that this may be because there isn't enough swap space. Can anybody advise as to whether this could be the problem and how to go about fixing it? I have seen posts with instructions for how to do this using the TiVoMad Boot CD, but I can't for the life of me find the boot CD anywhere. I tried the MFS Tools Live CD, but it doesn't boot for me. I can successfully run the MFS Tools after booting into Knoppix, so if there is a way to expand the swap with just the MFS Tools, that would be great.

Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum - feel free to move the thread if it fits better elsewhere.

Thanks,
    - Tim Macinta

With the kit you ordered, an "add" kit, you (or we) can't even change the swap space. But that isn't likely the issue.

The issue is likely that your original 20 GB drive, now probably close to ten years old, died. So even the new drive from us can't resurrect the unit without being reformatted with the right TiVo OS.

Essentially, when you put in the "add" kit, you're still using the OS from the original drive - again, now ten years old - and that seems to have failed. So there's no OS to boot the TiVo.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply. I wondered about the primary drive too, although I was able to clone it completely using 'dd' and there were no errors. I also used MFS Tools to make a backup of both drives, again with no errors. Unfortunately, nothing happens when I attempt put the replacement drive that I restored to in my TiVo - I don't even get to the green screen or the grey booting screen like I do with the original primary drive. I figure I should at least get that far, but I'm guessing the fact that I'm not is because TiVo doesn't like the drive for whatever reason. The Hindsdale How-To says that when moving from a Quantum drive to a non-Quantum drive (which is what I did), you need to use TiVoMad to add "runideturbo=false" to "rc.sysinit" for software version 2.0 or below (I can't check what version I had since my I just get the green screen). Do you know where I could get a copy of TiVoMad? All of the links I have found so far are dead. I realize that I may have had a version higher than 2.0 since the TiVo has been fetching updates continuously, but I'd like to try changing "rc.sysinit" anyway if you know of a way to do it.

Comment

As long as you used MFStools 2, then you don't need TiVoMad. That's pretty dated info at this point.

The fact that neither backup boots, to me, says there was some corruption of the OS.

At this point, you should really consider a "replace" kit:

http://www.weaknees.com/hdr2.php

Comment

Thanks again for the fast reply. I think you may be right about the drive being bad. I didn't see a way to effect the "runideturbo=false" setting with MFS Tools, which is why I wanted to give TiVoMad a try. I did eventually find TiVoMad, and it didn't help.

Fortunately, I own two TiVos and was able to restore the broken one to working order by restoring from the first one. I gave up on using the new drive I had bought because the TiVo did not seem to want to recognize it (it was a Western Digital Caviar Blue). Instead, I restored to the "Add one" drive from my original upgrade kit and am now using that as the primary drive. I'm repeating guided setup as I write this.

Comment

Perfect! That's a good move.

Comment

Working...
            X