Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions Wanted: Repair Series 1 or buy new Series 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Wanted: Repair Series 1 or buy new Series 2?

My 5-year-old Series 1 DirecTiVo (Phillips DSR6000) just died (probably has bad hard drive(s), judging by the Powering Up FAQ and helpful emails from WK). I added to my original capacity with a WK upgrade kit awhile back (3 years ago, maybe) so I was working with about 140Gb(?). I don't even remember the exact capacity. All I know is that five years of bliss came to an end after two power outages (I did have the unit connected to a PowerSentry surge protector -- not just a power strip).

So I am deciding between two options:

1. Replace the hard drives in my Series 1 (for equal or greater capacity)
    2. Buy a new Series 2 DirecTiVo.

Anyone have recommendations? Here are some additional factors:

--Price difference between options 1 and 2 appears negligible to me.
    --I have DirecTV and have no plans to switch to cable.
    --I don't care about HD so Series 3 is not an option.
    --I would dearly love to have home networking...
    --...but my computers are all Macs.

Thanks in advance.

It probably makes sense to get a Series2 unit. You get a great feature out of the upgrade: folders.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Why does having a Mac Stop you?

I have Mac and use all the cool networking features. Caveats: TiVo can't decode FairPlay protected content, but My photos and MP3 file play fine.

TiVoToGo is only availalbe through Roxio Toast (~$89) but I moved all my favorite episodes to the iMac for long term keeping.

Comment

Neither

With the coming change to all HD signals, I'm not sure I would waste the time buying a new analog Tivo. Why not fix what you've got and then go for the Tivo HD in 2009 when the change is made. When my Series 2 Tivo died, it was not the hard drive but the power supply which cost only around $40 from Weakknees...much cheaper than a new Tivo that will be obsolete in a couple of years.

Comment

Just to be clear, the Series2 Dual Tuner units can't even record analog antenna signals - so that shouldn't be a factor.

The coming change isn't to all HD, but to all digital antenna signals. It has no effect on cable signals or on whether cable or satellite set top boxes can still output in analog. So unless you are using rabbit ears to get SD stations, this change won't affect you.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X