Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing orginal 649080 drive

Hello

I am a 649080 owner. I have the original 80-hr hard drive plus I previously installed an additional 320-hr drive (a couple of years ago).

I think in the future I will want to replace the 80-hr drive and retain the 2nd drive, I don't care about retaining any programs from the NPL. Is this possible and which kit would I need, ADD or REPLACE?

Thank you,

You'd have to get a replacement kit and send the 320gb to us.

I'd recommend that you get a single replacement drive. The difference in cost between, say, a 320 and a 750 is probably less than you'd pay to send the drive in to have us marry the old and new drives.

Comment

thanks Jeff, I'll probably do that when the time comes. However, if I wanted to marry my existing 320-hr drive to the new one and ' do it myself' are there instructions anywhere? I'm faily proficient at hardware upgrades and I'm comfortable moving the drives to a pc for the 'marriage ceremony'.

Comment

Sure:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

thanks for the reply and link, but I only see options to replace a drive or restore a backup to one drive. No instructions on how to marry a 2nd drive to a first. Any other links?

thanks

Comment

Sorry - software-wise, just do what you would for a 540040.

Last we worked on that site, it seems the bracket was unavailable to add a second drive to your model. But it is now:

http://www.weaknees.com/dual-tuner-tivo-bracket.php

Comment

thanks Michael, would you suggest installing the replacement drive in to the Tivo prior to running the mfsadd command on the pc with the 320-hr drive attached or go straight to the PC?

If I was feeling brave and wanted to make a back-up of the Tivo (connecting both existing drives in the PC) will the boot utility recognise SATA drives (my XP C: drive?)

thank you for your help.

Comment

There's really no need to install in the TiVo, then go back to the PC for mfsadd.

Comment

thanks!

and my XP SATA c:\ would be recognized by the utilities for a back-up?

Comment

You need a FAT 32 partition/drive. The upgrade instructions will include basic instructions for backing up.

Comment

thanks, yes, it's FAT32 but a SATA drive not IDE. I just wanted confirmation that a SATA drive would be sufficient.

cheers

Comment

SATA vs IDE doesn't really matter.

Comment

Working...
                        X