Copied but not expanded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copied but not expanded

I used the Hinsdale directions to copy two 400 GB drives to two 750 GB drives successfully using Section 10, Upgrade Configuration 5, Option #2)
    DD Copy / Mfsadd method (requires only 2 available IDE ports)

BUT

the expansion did not work so it is as if I still have the old dual 400 GB drives in there.

Here is the command I used:
    mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb (expanding new A drive and new B drive)

I did have a few errors when I ran this command and identical errors when duplicating the A drive. One was DriveReady SeekComplete Error followed by DriveStatusError Bad CRC. These two lines repeated 9 times when I ran the copy command on the A drive and the expansion command on both drives. After the errors it would say
    DMA disabled
    reset: success
    Then:
    The estimated standalone size: 941 hours
    Nothing to add!

It is as if it thinks the drives are already expanded. This WAS a previously upgraded TiVo (single 250 GB drive upgraded to two 400 GB drives). The Hinsdale instructions do say:

"Option #2) DD Copy / Mfsadd method (requires only 2 available IDE ports):
    Swap File: If you are upgrading ... a previously upgraded dual drive unit in which you did not increase your swapfile (if you previously increased swap using TiVoMad or Mfs Tools 2.0 this does not apply) and your total recording capacity (A+B drives) is going to exceed ~140GB the preferable method for upgrade should include a means to increase the swap file so that the built-in TiVo repair utility (GSOD) can complete if ever triggered
    (rare). Those upgrading to these larger capacities should consider using the Mfs Tools restore option (-s 127 command line parameter increases the swap) outlined in Upgrade Configuration #5 Option #1 above."

Do I need to tinker with my swap file? I can't remember if I did when I added a drive going from 250 GB to 400+400 GB.

Most importantly:
    How can I now expand the 750 GB drives to their maximum size?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Maybe use MFSLive Beta6a to expand previously expanded?

Here is what I read at http://mfslive.org/

=============================================
    As many of you know, current release of mfstools 2.0 boot CD and many variations of the CD out there have few bugs:

1. Alternate root/kernel size bug
    2. Swap greater than 127GB will fail due to bad signature for linux swap v1.

Mfstools included in this release address those two bugs. In addition, few new features have been added:

restore

-f option: This is used after you use -x option to expand the drive. Previous version did not allow to expand after first expand. This is because linux version that TiVo uses allows only upto16 partitions in a drive. By using -x to expand the drive, it gets full. This option will allow you to expand beyond that without adding more partitions. This is for single drive that was expanded previously with restore -x or dual drive setup with original "A" drive and expanded "B" drive with restore -x option

=============================================

Maybe this will expand my new 750 GB drives so they appear to be more than 400 GB drives?

Comment

400 + 400 to one 750, then add second 750?

I may be able to remove enough recordings on a HR10-250 HD DirecTiVo's 400 GB + 400 GB drives to copy/merge them both onto a single 750 GB drive as a TiVo A drive.

Sound like something that might work? The previous 400 GB +400 GB was an upgrade that has already been expanded (after upgrade from a single 250 GB stock drive).

If this works, I would ultimately like to add a second 750 GB drive (as the TiVo B drive) to the single 750 GB TiVo A drive.

This may be a solution to my expansion problems. What do you think?
      -Kevin

Comment

Maybe not possible?

Hey look at me have a conversation with myself

I was reading Hinsdale and I am not sure if they are telling me it is not possible to go user added DirecTiVo dual drives to a single A drive. What do you think?

"UPGRADE CONFIGURATION #6:
        To: New Single Large A Drive

(Slow option – preserves setup, season passes, etc. and recordings)

Those wishing to replace their standalone dual drive TiVo with a new single larger A drive while
        preserving their recordings will need to copy/combine their complete existing TiVo A+B drives to the
        new larger single upgrade A drive (must be atleast as large as the combined A+B drive). This can be
        time consuming and those not concerned about recordings should see Upgrade Configuration #2:

Those with dual drive DirecTiVos, dual drive Series 2 units (with user added B drive), the rare
        factory combined dual drive standalones (see Step 7 Option #2 for description), or dual drive
        UK Thompson TiVo will not have enough available partitions remaining in order to combine
        their existing drives onto a single larger A drive and expand to use any remaining space while
        still preserving their recordings. For further upgrade possibilities of these units see Upgrade
        Configuration #2 (will not preserve recordings) or Upgrade Configuration #4 or #5 (preserves
        recordings).
        "

Comment

We don't really have good support for mfslive since that's not our resource, but we can tell you that you found the problem. You can use that, or you can lose your recordings and do whatever you'd like.

Getting rid of some recordings and trying to merge to one drive won't work in your case, as far as I can remember.

If you go the mfslive route, post back here and tell us how it goes.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Help! Restore possible?

Now something has happened to the dual 400 GB hard disk drives in the HR10-250. All I get is "Welcome, Powering up..."

I DO have a backup of everything but the recordings on my computer's C drive,
            and
            I also have two 750 GB drives with the recordings restored from the 400 GB drives when they were working. The 750 GB drives boot fine, so it is something with the 400 GB drives that is the problem. The 750 GB drives never fully expanded as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Is it somehow possible to retore my mfsbackup.bak from my C: drive onto the dual 400 GB drives and have it keep the recordings on the 400 GB drives? No data has changed on the dual 400 GBs since the mfsbackup, but will the restore foul the existing recordings on the drive?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmaine View Post
              Is it somehow possible to retore my mfsbackup.bak from my C: drive onto the dual 400 GB drives and have it keep the recordings on the 400 GB drives? No data has changed on the dual 400 GBs since the mfsbackup, but will the restore foul the existing recordings on the drive?
              I would like to restore the image (made using MFSTools 2 weaknees LBA boot CD) I made of the dual 400 GB drives to a single 750GB drive or dual 750 GB drives. I am willing to throw away my recordings. This backup file has version 6.3a of the TiVo OS on it, so I would rather use this backup instead of going WAY back to the original 250 GB hard drive that came with the unit which probably only has 3.1xx on it.

Is it possible to restore this image taken from smaller drives and restore it onto two larger hard drives? Should I use MFSTools 2 or some other tool?

DirecTV HR20-leased
              DirecTV HR10-250 (1500 GB) (TwinBreeze Kit)
              DirecTV HR10-250 (TwinBreeze Kit)

DirecTV R15-leased
              DirecTV R10 (TwinBreeze Kit)
              Hughes SD-DVR 40 (1500 GB) (TwinBreeze Kit)
              SONY SAT T-60 (320 GB)

Comment

Working...
              X