Replacing an Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing an Upgrade

I bought a Series 2 Tivo (TCD540040) about 3 yrs ago and immediatly upgraded the HD from the original (40Gb?) to a 160Gb. The 160 is making some good noise now and I want to replace it with a 300 that I have sitting around.

I have read and tried and failed at upgrading this drive (Hinsdale Method). From what I have read here today it seems that I can't preserve the old recordings on the drive, which would explain the errors I was seeing when trying to use mfsbackup.

Is it possible to just try the low level dd command at this point from the 160 to the 300? If I do this do I still need to perform a mfsadd command?

Also will I have to do some type of format on the 300 now that drive has been written to by mfstools when I go try this again.

BTW, I do still have my original HD that came with the Tivo. I stuck it in the Tivo to see if I could upgrade the software and do the dump off that drive instead, but I never did it because the software stayed at 7.1. I tried upgrading the software by running setup again and rebooting, but it never seemed to update, even though I had a sucessful connection to the Tivo Service. My 160 drive is running 9.X, which is why I kept trying to do the backup off that drive.

For ref: I did get the 160 to do a backup, restore it to the 300, use option #2 (season pass...etc no recordings), mfsadd all complete, but the drive would never boot. Just kept looping from Powering up to almost ready to powering up

Thanks,

Unkis
    Last edited by unkis17; 01-21-2009, 06:28 AM.

All signs here point to the OS on the 160 being corrupt, which is consistent with the noise. So you're best bet is to either send us the drive for formatting or just buy a new prepared TiVo drive for your model.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Michael,

Just to verify you are saying the OS on the 160 is corrupt, which is why it won't copy correctly? I should be able to perform a standard upgrade from my original hard drive to the 300 gb then.

If that doesn't work I'm DONE messing with this and a prepared drive is the next new toy I'm buying.

Unkis

Comment

We can't tell you for sure, but WK-Michael is suggesting that your 160gb software may be bad. If your factory drive is good, though, you should be able to use that to upgrade to your 300gb.

Comment

Jeff,

Thanks for verifying. I will give the original to the 300 a try. If that doesn't work, you'll be getting an order from me...

BTW, is there any formatting required of the 300 since it has already been written to by the mfstools once?

Thanks,

Unksi

Comment

Sure - we offer that service here.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X