Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400GB OK by mfsadd ?

I have 2 TivoDT 80GB.

I can follow all instructions (mfsbackup, mfsrestore, mfsadd) and able to finish upgrading my TiVoDT 80GB to 320GB or 250GB, and boot up OK.

However, I have no success to repeat the procedures for Seagate 400GB, no matter the 400GB is the only TiVo drive, or make it as the 2nd drive. After doing mfsadd –x /dev/hdk /dev/hdl I always get GSOD on 2 drives install, and the the previously OK TiVo A drive (320GB or 250GB or spare 80GB for test) will becomes seeing GSOD on power up under single drive(cable_select).

On my test MB, hda – hdh won’t safisfy reset from mfs2.0 LinuxCD boot (long wait on every bootup), so my primary IDE drives stays on hdI/hdJ and secondary IDE drives stay on hdK/hdL.

I have tried:
    (1) 400GB on secondary master and backup drive on primary slave, DVDRW drive being the primary master,

mfsrestore –s 127 –bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo1b/bak /mnt/hdk

TiVoDT can boot up with 80 hrs capacity.

And if I put it back to Linux booted PC without backup drive on primary slave, further do

mfsadd –x /dev/hdk

I get GSOD on its TiVo boot

(2) I also tried to increase swap file size by

mfsrestore –s 300 –x –bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo1b/bak /mnt/hdk

and afterwards able to see MFS table:

/# mfsinfo /dev/hdk
    The MFS volume set contains 6 partitions
    /dev/hdk10
    MFS Partition Size: 288MiB
    /dev/hdk11
    MFS Partition Size: 32991MiB
    /dev/hdk12
    MFS Partition Size: 288MiB
    /dev/hdk13
    MFS Partition Size: 41975MiB
    /dev/hdk14
    MFS Partition Size: 0MiB
    /dev/hdk15
    MFS Partition Size: 305188MiB
    Total MFS Volume Size: 380731MiB
    Estimated hours in a standalone TiVo: 462
    This MFS volume may be expanded 3 more times.

GSOD still happens on TiVo boot

In a few days of back and forth tests, I am sure my procedures are OK, by successfully upgrading 80GB alone, 80GB(A)+250GB(B), 250GB alone, 320GB alone, but keep failing on 400GB alone, 320GB(A)+400GB(B), 250GB(A)+400GB(B). I suspect the mfsadd from MFS 2.0 tool is not able to accommodate 400GB Seagate HDD, since after mfsadd on 400GB combinations, mfsinfo can’t get good reading from tivo A or B drive, I also tried to skip mfsadd step, by adding –x (expand to fill) when doing mfsrestore. By this I can read mfsinfo as above, but still unable to boot up Tivo without GSOD.

From Weaknees’ upgrade kit offers for purchase I know there must be a way to make 400GB or even 750GB IDE drive upgrades work. As there is no mentioning of special steps for 400+GB HDD for mfstool 2.0, what did I do wrong?

Your help will be greatly appreciated, for making my TwinBreeze kit to work!

The problem is that you need the "-r 4" switch when you are using a drive of that size. Try adding "-r 4" into any expansion command - any add or replace command with an x.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi

I'm trying to upgrade my UK TIVO for a second time to a Samsung T133 400GB U133 7200RPM 8MB hard disk and have been reading Hinsdale etc, although I don't really understand what I'm doing!!

I want to copy everything across, and think I need something like this command (hda - Primary Master - new hd, hdc Secondary Master - existing TIVO hd, hdd Secondary Master - CD ROM drive):

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda

I know this isn't right exactly, but would be really grateful if someone could help me by telling me the right command.

Does this deal with the increase in the disk size? (Tivo threshold at 274GB)

DO I need to do something to increase the cache size?

I presume I then need to patch the tivo to increase the kernel size - I was going to use the Steve Conrad instructions for this.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

I don't have a lot of experience with the UK TiVos, but I'm pretty sure they would need a kernel swap to use drives larger than 137 GB at full capacity.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X