No announcement yet.

transferring to a new drive (same size)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transferring to a new drive (same size)

I have a 320GB drive that has been upgraded once or twice... I'd like to transfer to a new 320GB drive (saving the recordings).

When I enter this command

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda

I get the "backup target not large enough for the entire backup by itself".

I'm sure that this is because the command is designed to upgrading to a larger drive.

I"ll continue to look to see if I can find the command that will not attempt to expand the partion.

I think I figured it out

I changed "-xzpi "
    to "-zpi"

The process has started.. we will see if this works

Comment

It'll work, but you won't get the extra space. The tools only allow for expansion once per drive, so you're getting a copy, but you can't get expansion unless you lose the recordings.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I don't need the extra space.. the drives are the same size.

So to continue with this problem. The full copy with recordings will not work in the Directivo (RCA DVR40). When I connect it, it sits at the powering up screen.

Ive done the transfer twice, same results. I've checked the jumper, made sure the cables are sitting tight.

Using the same drive, the backup without recordings will load up in the Directivo.

I am using a Western Digital drive. I ran a quick test and no errors. It is running a full test now.

Any other things I should attempt or look at?

Comment

No errors during the copy, no errors on the drive (the WD test isn't great, but that's certainly better than getting errors) and the copy w/o recordings works?

Was there any extra message at all at the end of the copy?

Comment

full test just completed... no errors found... code 0000

Comment

And after the copy, any errors or other messages?

Comment

nope.. nothing that jumps out at me.

This is the command I used for the copy

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -zpi - /dev/hda

The transfer take about 5 hours due to all the recordings. I don't have any other drives large enough here to test... I'll try to get out this weekend and pick up a different unit and give it another shot.

Comment

I'd triple-check the jumpers to see if maybe that's the issue.

Comment

okay.. so I decided to hold off on the Dtivo upgrade and attempt my Standalone series 2 upgrade with this "problem" drive.
                    Tivo TCD24004a Upgraded once to a 160gb drive. The new drive I am using is 320gb.

Using this command.
                    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb
                    I get an error saying
                    Restore failed: backup target not large enough for the entire backup my itself.

I also tried without the "-s 127", same result

So I figured I would try the DD command.
                    dd* if=/dev/hdc* of=/dev/hdb* bs=1024k
                    That worked. I put it in the Tivo, fired up, videos were there. Then I decided to take it out and tried the mfsadd command
                    mfsadd -x /dev/hdb
                    This comes back with Volume size 130614MiB, Estimated hours is 148. This MFS volume may be expanded 3 more times. Nothing to add...

To sum up... the original new drive that was not playing after doing a full backup/restore on a Dtivo, seemed to work just fine using DD command on a Standalone series 2, but it doesn't recognize the additional space.

So.. any suggestions?

Comment

What capacity does the new drive show? If it is about right on the TiVo, then it sounds like you don't have any more space to expand.

Comment

On the tivo, it still says 155 hours.

I reran the DD command overnight and before putting it back into the Tivo, I tried the MFSadd command, same result "nothing to add"

Comment

That means there was a problem when you did the upgrade to the first 320gb--you didn't get all of the space. In the s/w you are using (mfstool), you can't expand the partitions more than one time, which is why you're having the problem.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have a question, according to the readme file
                            http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...OOLSREADME.txt

Q. So is there any limit on how many times I can add a larger drive?

Yes and no. There is not any arbitrary limit saying that you can only
                            upgrade once. However, TiVo only supports 12 partitions in MFS, which
                            means realistically you can only upgrade 5 times at the most, with each
                            drive being expanded counting as an upgrade. DirecTV TiVos and other 13
                            partition systems can only be upgraded 4 times. Old DirecTV TiVos that had
                            2 drives can only be upgraded 3 times. If you are unsure, MFS Tools will
                            tell you if you have reached the limit, or MFS Info will tell you how many
                            more times you can upgrade.
                            So I guess I'm confused.
                            If if you add the "This MFS volume may be expanded 3 more times" response that I saw, then I'm really confused.

is there a way to back up everything (including recordings), and then restore to a larger drive?

mfsbackup -6 -a -o /mnt/tivo.back /dev/hdb
                            the -a flag would backup all streams.

edit: okay.. so the backup command that I've been using already has the "a" flag in it.... which then leads me to the question of why the restore is failing when going from 160GB to 320GB drive?

You've done this many times more then I have, but I'm trying to process the information (not based on forum posts) from my searches .
                            Last edited by kevink; 04-06-2009, 10:15 AM.

Comment

You are confusing adding a SECOND drive and re-expanding an already-expanded primary drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X