Backup not large enough for entire backup itself. Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup not large enough for entire backup itself. Error

I have upgraded a Tivo series 2 40 GB drive to an 120 GB drive and it's worked fine. I'm now trying to upgrade to a 200G since the 120 is showing signs of failure. I want to keep my programing so I've tried the mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda command using the MFS Tools 2.0 and the WeaKnees boot disks but keep getting the same error message: "Restore failed:backup not large enough for entire backup itself. "

During the boot up on using both cds, the system seems to identify both hard drives fine with what appears to be the right sizes.

Where do I go from here?

TIA

Mitch

You can't exand that 120 GB drive any further because you've already used two partitions. If you remove the x so that your string reads:

Code:
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -zpi - /dev/hda
    then your backup will work, but keep in mind that the extra 80 GB will go unused. If you want to use all the space and just do a settings only copy, use:

Code:
    mfsbackup -f 9999 -so  - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Thank you for the fast reply:

So you can only expand a drive once and keep your programing when you upgrade?

Mitch

Comment

Correct. The drive can be partitioned twice. With your 120GB drive you used a 40GB partition for the factory image and then the rest of the space for the second partition. The size of the partitions can't change when you copy the material so that locks you into two partitions of predetermined size.

Comment

I have the same issue. My Original 40GB drive failed about a year ago and I replaced it with a 300GB. That replacement has now failed and I'm upgrading to a 500GB.

In order to keep my recordings, I would either waste 200GB on my new drive or choose not to backup any old recordings and then I can use the whole capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.wright View Post
            I have the same issue. My Original 40GB drive failed about a year ago and I replaced it with a 300GB. That replacement has now failed and I'm upgrading to a 500GB.

In order to keep my recordings, I would either waste 200GB on my new drive or choose not to backup any old recordings and then I can use the whole capacity?
            Correct. If you want to save your shows, you're locked into that capacity unless you slave another drive to it.

Comment

So making a .BAK of my current (300GB) drive would do nothing good to restore onto a 500GB? I'm better off with a backup of an original 40GB (without my season passes, etc)?

Thanks

Comment

If the backup has no recordings in it, then it doesn't matter which drive you use. The mfstools software automatically reduces the backup back to the original partition sizes.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                X