Upgrading a Hughes DTV Tivo again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading a Hughes DTV Tivo again

I bought a DirecTivo 40 Hughes system, when that was neat and cool. And quickly filled it up. Before the Atlanta Olympics, I bought a Weaknees upgrade add-on drive in the 120 mb range, and things were pretty good for a long time.

Lately, we're getting the dying disk drive symptoms, most likely on the original 40, but I haven't pulled it out yet to make certain. Weeknees sent a new replacement 300mb drive kit that arrived yesterday. And I just bought a DVD recorder to make an off system backup of 186 half hour quilting shows (don't ask, please...)

Is there a chance that I can replace the 40 with the 300, and the 120 will automagically hook up to the system, and run as though nothing nasty had been happening, keeping the old content? Or should these two old drives be given to the adult sons who play with Linux for fun? It would be better if I didn't have to babysit the DVD recorder for the next week, feeding it disks...

No - the new drive you ordered won't configure itself to any other drive at all, unless you put both it and one of the older drives in a PC and configure them together. Considering that the other drives are several years old now, we'd recommend using just the new drive, once you offload the content.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X