Very dissatisfied -- TiVo stuck on "powering up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very dissatisfied -- TiVo stuck on "powering up"

First, I want to say that I have previously done a Weaknees upgrade to my old Sony Tivo and everything went fine. When I needed extra space for my TCD649080, I cam back to Weaknees.

I ordered the second-drive upgrade kit. Opened my box and removed the old drive. The instructions include steps for adding a fan, but I figured I could skip those since I didn't order a fan. Things began to get hairy when I go to the point where I needed to mount the new drives on the bracket. The new (B) drive mounted as described, but the A/master wouldn't fit as pictured -- the only way the screws line up was if I turned it 90 degrees (which I did). Then, when I went to add the drives to the Tivo box, the bracket wouldn't line up as described. If I aligned the mounting hole near the B drive (where the old drive sat), the bracket would not close because the component where the tuner cable attaches is in the way. I just slid the bracket up and attached it using only the screws/washers through the bottom. Not fun, but no major problems yet.

The I put it together and plugged it in. It's stuck on "powering up" for 15+ minutes. I reseated the cables and powered up again -- no change. I took out the red "power trip" since I wasn't clear what it did with no fan present (that was not discussed in the instructions.) It's still stuck on powering up.

So now I'm stuck trying to put it back the way it was or spending way too much time on a drive-swap upgrade. Thanks for nothing.

Update: very wierd behavior

OK, so I wanted to give everything one last check. I unscrewed the new dual drive bracket and reseated every connection again. I also reinstalled the red power device before the power chord splitter. Then, just to see, I plugged it in without putting in any screws. It worked! First the message about the new storage device being accepted, the the regular startup and menu. Settings shows variable storage up to 300 hours (with an added 200GB drive). Looks good now. So I take it back down and put in the screws -- the two seating screws through the bottom and the outside case screws. Plug it back in and -- nothing again. It cycles through the "powering up" screen three times, then freezes there. Very weird. So I take it back down and take the screws out again. Plug it in and it works.

Now, my box sits high atop an entertainment unit where no one can reach it without a stool (including me), so I suppose I could leave it loose, but this is very strange. Is it too late to copy the programs I want and try to mount the new drive as a single drive that will work with the screws attached?

Comment

Originally posted by jsweetman View Post
      First, I want to say that I have previously done a Weaknees upgrade to my old Sony Tivo and everything went fine. When I needed extra space for my TCD649080, I cam back to Weaknees.

I ordered the second-drive upgrade kit. Opened my box and removed the old drive. The instructions include steps for adding a fan, but I figured I could skip those since I didn't order a fan. Things began to get hairy when I go to the point where I needed to mount the new drives on the bracket. The new (B) drive mounted as described, but the A/master wouldn't fit as pictured -- the only way the screws line up was if I turned it 90 degrees (which I did). Then, when I went to add the drives to the Tivo box, the bracket wouldn't line up as described. If I aligned the mounting hole near the B drive (where the old drive sat), the bracket would not close because the component where the tuner cable attaches is in the way. I just slid the bracket up and attached it using only the screws/washers through the bottom. Not fun, but no major problems yet.

The I put it together and plugged it in. It's stuck on "powering up" for 15+ minutes. I reseated the cables and powered up again -- no change. I took out the red "power trip" since I wasn't clear what it did with no fan present (that was not discussed in the instructions.) It's still stuck on powering up.

So now I'm stuck trying to put it back the way it was or spending way too much time on a drive-swap upgrade. Thanks for nothing.
      If you had this much trouble with the installation, then something went awry--either you ordered a kit for the wrong unit, you ordered the right kit but got the wrong instructions, or you misread the instructions. Hard to know for sure...but the problem you had with the drive turning, etc. are neither common nor should it be expected.

Naturally, screwing in a drive bracket should not cause you to have the problem you had...perhaps you'd be best emailing us directly with your order number so that we can check what you ordered?

Also, if you install a second drive correctly in a TCD649080, I don't think there should be any message stating that a new drive has been installed. You simply see the new capacity.

Comment

Apologies to Weaknees

I had the source of my upgrade kit wrong: I ordered from Hinsdale. Since the box came with the Weaknees instructions and no packing slip, I thought it was theirs. My mistake.

Nothing really explains the strange behavior of the box, though.

Comment

Hopefully the problem has been resolved now, but if not, reply back.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Upgraded DVR40 to 300 Gbytes now remotes don't work. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?
            Thanks

Comment

See the other thread . . .
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
              X