Backup failed: /mnt/dos/tivo.bak: Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup failed: /mnt/dos/tivo.bak: Success

Upgrading a single drive Sony SVR-2000 using the MFSTOOLS boot CD, original TiVo 30GB Quantum Fireball connected as IDE1 Master (hdc), and a FAT32 formatted W2000 drive as IDE0 Master (hda) with 1.7GB free space, I'm having problems at the first stage of backing up the TiVo drive.

The following commands were entered with the results described in the title:

/# mkdir /mnt/dos
    /# mount /dev/hda /mnt/dos
    mount: you must specifiy the filesystem type
    /# mfsbackup -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /mnt/hdc
    Source drive size is 30 hours
    Backup drive size is 30 hours
    Uncompressed backup size: 972 megabytes
    Backup failed: /mnt/dos/tivo.bak: Success

Partition check:
    hda: hda1
    hdc:Signature 1492, be12 Signature 9214
    16:00 block 0 has signature 9214 rather than 1492
    unknown partition table

How to clear this hurdle? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Can you see files on the backup drive? It sounds like you are having a problem writing the image file to that drive, so there may be an issue with Linux seeing your boot drive.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Michael,

You're correct - /dev/hda: Permission denied Funny thing, I get the same response when I tried /dev/hdc ...

Is there a Linux "share" option for the C: drive?

Comment

Nothing that we know of - can you just use another drive to store a backup temporarily?

Comment

Michael,
          Thank you for your prompt response to what must seem to be mundane and repeated questions.
          I took your advice to try another drive, but I also used a different PC. Unfortunately, I wind up with the same results - Backup failed: /mnt/dos/tivo.bak: Success
          The mfstools backup command starts out fine, reporting the size of the source drive correctly along with the # of recording hours. Then the backup to the FAT32 formatted boot drive (with 1.6GB free) starts with a line reporting the amount backed up and the percentage progress so far. Depending upon the option -1so - -9so used the progress varies sometimes up to as much as 65 complete, but then the failed report appears and the process is halted.
          The mkdir /mnt/dos command creates the required empty directory upon which the mount /dev/hda command mounts the boot drive in preparation for the backup. The tivo.bak file appears in this /mnt/dos directory upon later inpsection.
          I can only imagine the problem is a simple one, but heck if I can figure it out.
          If you can afford the patience and energy for this one, I'll add you to my Christmas card list for all time.
          Thanks again,
          James

Comment

Michael,
            It appears that the drive mount command string I used was in error. The following was used and now the backup is running like a charm:
            /# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
            I followed this with the following backup command string:
            /# mfstool backup -o /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
            Thanks for your help.
            Sincerely,
            James

Comment

Great - glad you got it working!

Comment

Working...
              X