Upgrade question/issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade question/issue

A couple of months ago, I decided to upgrade a 560 hour TiVo by adding a 750 GB hard drive. The unit is a dual tuner Series 2 unit. I have a lot of experience dealing with upgrades, in fact as one of the earliest customers of WeakNees. I am unfamiliar with how to proceed on this particular upgrade, however.

Since I purchased the bracket from your company along with the hard drive, the TiVo has started randomly rebooting about once a day. I realize that this is generally a sign of eventual hard drive failure. As such, I want to prioritize the upgrade. My problem is that the current drive is obviously a 500GB one. I am under the impression, right or wrong, that if I do a drive copy to the 750GB drive, there is no way for the system to recognize the larger drive space. Is this correct? If so, I would prefer to buy a 500GB hard drive. The problem is that I also know that in doing so, I run the risk of getting one that is ever so slightly smaller than my current one, an issue that would prevent a drive copy.

What is the best way to proceed from here?

You've got that all correct about the drive sizes and expansion.

So, to clarify, at this point, did you ever install the 750?

What brand of 500 is in there?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

It's a Seagate.

I have not installed the 750GB yet, because I was torn between doing an add-on versus a replace. I would hate to lose the storage space, but I also don't want to lose the shows currently recorded on there.

If I mailed the new drive and the old one along with the bracket I bought to you guys, could you perform a switchover that would keep my old shows? I've had you guys do that in the past for $99 or $139, but this situation seems unusual. So, I'm not sure if you can do anything here.

Comment

Sure - we can do that. Email us and we'll figure out the details.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X